Friday noght turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Deacon904

Deacon904

Trying another other one..
Really having issues with getting a good finish...

20191101_204301.jpg
pen1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What kind of finish are you using ? . And what do you mean by "good" ?
"Good" depends quite a bit on what you are using as a finish, as well as on the quality of the wood surface when you apply the finish.
It also depends on how long you let the applied finish "set" before you go to the next stage ... whether the next stage is another coat of finish ... or whether the next stage is sanding ... or polishing ... or ??? . There are many things to consider.

Also, the more pens you do the more you will learn. . I think we all have trouble at first in achieving what we perceive to be "good".

Deacon904

What kind of finish are you using ? . And what do you mean by "good" ?
"Good" depends quite a bit on what you are using as a finish, as well as on the quality of the wood surface when you apply the finish.
It also depends on how long you let the applied finish "set" before you go to the next stage ... whether the next stage is another coat of finish ... or whether the next stage is sanding ... or polishing ... or ??? . There are many things to consider.

Also, the more pens you do the more you will learn. . I think we all have trouble at first in achieving what we perceive to be "good".

I sanded to 600 the used CA thin for 4 layers, CA medium for 4 layers - MicroMeshed at that point then used some friction polish (trying different ones).
Don't like using CA at all, I'm allergic to many chemicals and just really don't like using others.

I ordered some products from Doctors Woodshop looking forward to trying those out.
Other natural finishes would be great to find.

magpens

You might want to try the Novus friction polishes .... available from ExoticBlanks.com and other places. . I have used them for years.
These put a great shine on CA finish and on acrylics and similar blanks.

For coarser work, I use Meguiar's automotive products ... they work great after the sanding stage and before the Novus.
There are a number of grades, with various coarseness that you can select from. . Available from tool and automotive stores.

Deacon904

So this is what it ended up as - even after resanding the CA off and wiping down with DA.
First coats of CA went down nice and smooth.. Put 6 applications of Med CA, letting each naturally dry in between.
MicroMeshed, wipe down between each pad and put some Renaissance wax.... What am i doing wrong?
Normally I would get aggravated but its just wood and I can turn again.
pen2.jpg
20191103_151852.jpg

Top Bottom