Friction Finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dustman

Other than using CA for a nice, smooth and durable finish, I have been using the penn state friction finishes. I sell them so I don't really know how durable the finish is. Has any of you received any feedback or use a pen with these finishes to know how durable they are? I am open to any other friction finish. I am short on patience and I really want something that sets fast. Thanks.

Al

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

No friction finish will stand up to the rigors of handling as much as a pen. Along with the constant rubbing and oils from hands it has no chance. Try using a spray on Lacquer for a finish if CA is not optional. or even polyurethane.

dogcatcher

I don't sell anymore, I make "stuff" for myself, family and friends. My go to finish is a gunstock finish. It's a mix of BLO mineral spirits and spar varnish. Basically a Danish oil finish or Teak oil finish.

My application method is done over a span of days or weeks. Similar to Frank Whitons Classic gunstock finish.

I am too lazy to type it all out, a search of Frank Whiton classic gunstock finish will give you the basic idea.

The finish leaves a wood feel to the wood and developes a nice patina over time.

Paul-H

I find that the finish obtained by using friction polish, although nice when first applied very quickly fades. Now when I use it I give it a couple of coats of Carnauba wax, that way the shine is enhanced a little and its protected.

Even doing that it's not tough enough for items that are frequently handled, things like pens.

RKB

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't sell anymore, I make "stuff" for myself, family and friends. My go to finish is a gunstock finish. It's a mix of BLO mineral spirits and spar varnish. Basically a Danish oil finish or Teak oil finish.

My application method is done over a span of days or weeks. Similar to Frank Whitons Classic gunstock finish.

I am too lazy to type it all out, a search of Frank Whiton classic gunstock finish will give you the basic idea.

The finish leaves a wood feel to the wood and developes a nice patina over time.

If more people would do this, they would have very fine finishes. The problem with pens, besides being handled in the way as JohnT mentioned, is that it takes an hour to a day to make the pen, and then the maker often wants a finish in record time. That is reason "1" CA is so popular, with durability being a close # "2".

Pens are not furniture. They are handled entirely differently and put through heat and cold and humidity, water, sweat, etc - like gun stocks are.

monophoto

The PSI house-brand friction finish is lacquer based which means that it wears much better than the more typical shellac-based friction polishes. I've had good experience with it.

jrista

Other than using CA for a nice, smooth and durable finish, I have been using the penn state friction finishes. I sell them so I don't really know how durable the finish is. Has any of you received any feedback or use a pen with these finishes to know how durable they are? I am open to any other friction finish. I am short on patience and I really want something that sets fast. Thanks.

Al

A normal friction polish, which is usually some combination of shellac, DNA and oil, will not withstand normal pen use. In particular, such finishes will often react with sweat from fingers, and break down. I started using Mylands friction polish, but once I started actually using one of those pens, I found that the finish did not hold up.

I eventually found Pens Plus. This is a friction polish, but it has a magic ingredient: Microcrystalline Wax. Specifically Cosmoloid 80H, which is the same stuff found in the expensive Renaissance Wax. Pens Plus, when applied right, will solidify such that the wax is in the upper layer, which protects the oil and shellac. The wax also gives a crystal clear finish, which looks glasslike and reflects about as well as a good CA finish.

If you want to use a friction polish, then Pens Plus is the ONLY friction polish I would recommend. I have pens I made as long as two years ago with this finish, that are still looking as good as the day I made them. One is a lever-action pen I've used most days since around late August or September 2021. It is still in pristine condition. The microcrystalline wax is fingerprint resistant, and a good protectant for the highly chatoyant finish below (on woods anyway). I would not recommend any other friction polish for pens, though...lacking the microcrystalline wax component, they won't hold up.

Some notes:

I've used Pens Plus for...well, about two years now, I think. It works real well, until it does not. When it suddenly does not, that usually means the bottle has gone bad. Its around $30 a bottle, which technically should last for a ton of pens (its a lot of finish in the bottle!) If you make a lot of pens, then you should get through a bottle before it goes bad. In my case, I guess, within about a year, it goes bad and it starts not applying as well, and it gets hard to prevent the dull spots that can appear. This just happened to me again on a bottle, and I am pretty sure its because the bottle is bad. At the rate I make pens, that is usually about half a bottle used.

What I've considered doing is using stop-loss bags. The key problem with finishes going bad is oxygen, and when a bottle or can of finish is half empty, its also half full of reactive oxygen. A stop loss bag, or distributing the finish into smaller bottles that you keep sealed until used, should help the finish last longer. If you buy a bottle, and BTW its full name is "Drs. Woodshop Pens Plus 16oz", then I would make sure you have some smaller bottles to distribute it into, or a large enough stop loss bag, to preserve the finish as long as you can.

It is one of the clearest, smoothest finishes I know of, and I stuck with it for two years because my CA finishes never quite delivered the same chatoyance... Until, that is, I gave GluBoost a try (first time just in the last few days), which is amazing stuff. The GluBoost is IMO a better finish. Similar chatoyance to Pens Plus, but it is a harder coating, which should give it higher durability. The Pens Plus will, in my experience, never "scratch", not like any resin or plastic (like a CA finish)...however not being a hard finish, it can allow dings and nicks.

Anyway...Pens Plus, only friction polish you want for pens.

Evilleray

Thank you! I've been using Myland's friction polish at the recommendation of a Rockler sales person and noticed the finish would dull pretty quickly. I came here to see if we were doing something wrong. I'll grab a bottle of Pens Plus before my next class!

jrista

Thank you! I've been using Myland's friction polish at the recommendation of a Rockler sales person and noticed the finish would dull pretty quickly. I came here to see if we were doing something wrong. I'll grab a bottle of Pens Plus before my next class!
Its a great finish! I've used it for a couple of years now, and when applied right its brilliant.

One thing I have discovered about it, since it contains shellac, is that it does not have an infinite shelf life. If you buy a bottle, you'll want to use it up within a year (or less).

Top Bottom