Freshly cut wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eskimo

I have an opportunity this weekend to pick up some freshly cut Cherry & Osage Orange in log lengths. After I cut the logs into blanks (1 X 1 X 6), what is best to use to seal the endgrain to prevent checking? What is an acceptable level of moisture to declare a wood dry, for turning purposes?

Thanks, Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fstepanski

Bob,

As you have the opportunity to cut it yourself I would not seal the ends at all. Cut your boards / pieces to be 3 foot or so long. If you loose a couple inchs each side you still have over 2 and a half feet of blanks.. Just a thought / option.

low_48

I always cut my blanks to 6" so they will dry faster. Cutting into boards will make you wait up to a year before using them. I never seal the ends. I will lose a few to checks, especially the osage. It has a lot of internal cracking that is tough to see until it dries a little. I think anything under 10% is good for pens.

Fred

Check out the article "Boiling Wood" written by fellow IAP member Steve Russell at his website ...

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/index.html

I have followed his directions for a year now and boiled several very wet and green bowl blanks and not had a crack to develop. I bet if you cut your woods into workable lengths and boiled then as Steve directs you to do that you will, (1) have workable wood faster, (2) not lose anywhere near as much - if any - as if they were air dried, (3) get back to turning faster, etc.

A complete set-up is available from Northern Handiman for about $50-65 dollars. You will need a BBQ propane tank to use as a fuel source as it is not included in the kit.

I have had great success in boiling green, wet bowl blanks and not lost a one to cracking, checking, twisting, etc. If you follow Steve's direction you just might have the results many of the other 'boilers' have had.

Keep the group posted. BTW, you are in Roswell... well, I am in Tucker, maybe we ought to get together one day for a 'yacking session'. I really like Waffle House coffee and there is one really close to Woodcraft (we can go shopping for goodies). [:D]

eskimo

Fred,

Thanks for the link. I'd never thought of boiling. Would it help the process to throw a bag of Silicate into the paper bag with the blanks to accelerate the drying time?

Waffle House sounds great. PM me with your phone # & we'll work something out.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom