French rolling pins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EricRN

EricRN

I've been trying to practice with the skew. Goals: Getting through a project without a major, destructive catch. Getting a smooth surface so I can start my sanding at 180. Still working on both but these French rolling pins are good practice. (My wife wanted to buy on. I said, "I can make that!"). Top is cherry. Bottom is maple. I finished them with a couple thick coats of walnut oil and then my homemade blend of oil and wax.

Attachments

• 8217A856-B747-476B-8A29-C96E3318292F.jpeg
    8217A856-B747-476B-8A29-C96E3318292F.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Those look pretty good. What size blanks did you start with? I'm planning to try some rolling pins myself.

EricRN

Those look pretty good. What size blanks did you start with? I'm planning to try some rolling pins myself.
2 inch square. The cherry is a bit thinner because I had a huge catch. Had to turn it down to get rid of the divot but I like the thinner look now that I see them in person. The blanks were 30 in long. I cut the maple in half for two 15-inch pins. The cherry I cut into 18- and 12-inch lengths.
The final length on the cherry is a bit shorter because I lost 3/8 or so on each side when I parted off. For the maple, I used filler on the holes where the centers dug in. I will do the former on future pins as the filler didn't look great.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
2 inch square. The cherry is a bit thinner because I had a huge catch. Had to turn it down to get rid of the divot but I like the thinner look now that I see them in person. The blanks were 30 in long. I cut the maple in half for two 15-inch pins. The cherry I cut into 18- and 12-inch lengths.
The final length on the cherry is a bit shorter because I lost 3/8 or so on each side when I parted off. For the maple, I used filler on the holes where the centers dug in. I will do the former on future pins as the filler didn't look great.
Thanks - I appreciate the info!

Top Bottom