Freestyle Contest Rules.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here are my proposed rules, guidelines, or whatever you want to call them. Some are "borrowed" from last year, some are "borrowed" and tweeked a bit, some are my own ideas. I would like some opinions on the timeline for this contest from you more experienced folks. I will fill in the blanks for the timeline and prizes as soon as I get some guidence from the more experienced, (notice I did not say OLD?) planners.

Freestyle Pen Contest.

The Rules are simple: The objective is to make a functional pen. Only pens that are new to the site this month will be eligible. Not important when you started and/or finished it, it just has to be a pen that wasn't shown prior to February 1st 2010.

Judging will be a 2 part process. First a panel of judges will pick the top 3 pens, then we will post a poll to let users vote for the winners. The poll will be posted on Feb x and winners will be pulled from the poll at x PM Mountain time on Feb x.

This contest is open to anybody who wants to compete. Any and all styles of pen will work. Qualities to be taken into consideration will be: originality of materials used, originality of the pens concept, functionality (remember it must be a working pen), fit & finish, and overall "WOW factor". All entries must be submitted by x AM Mountain time on Feb x. The winner will be announced on Feb x.

The 1st place winner will be required to donate the winning entry to IAP to be raffled off at a time TBD later as a fundraiser to help with the cost of running the forum.

Prizes
TBA
These prizes will be based on the user votes.

1st place
TBASince this will be "sacrificed" by the winner to be "raffled" off. I would like to see it be a significant prize of some sort. I would imagine the winning entry to have some serious effort into it.
2nd place
TBA
3rd place
TBA

These winners will be decided by the judges/random draw

Almost Made It (4th place) - For the pen that almost made it into the voting but didn't.
TBA
Random Voter - This one is simple, all you have to do is follow along with the thread and vote for your favorite pen. I will randomly pick one voter from the list, and give you a prize.
TBA I think this should be ranked as the least valued prize of this contest as it requires the least effort.

Basic Rules Recap
  1. Entry must be a pen.
  2. You can enter only once. You should try to take the best picture possible. Judges will use the photos to quantify the quality of the pen. (i.e. If the pen appears out of round in the pictures the judges will have to assume it is out of round.)
  3. In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by the judges.
  4. Entries should be posted to this forum topic.
I wanted to do away with the "trash talker" prize as I think it would be better served as its own contest if we are going to use it. IMO of course.

Please PM me with any concerns or corrections I need to make. TY

Landon

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Looks like you need five prizes? That might be a bit hefty, depending on the other contests...

I think I can pick up a couple of the "lesser" prizes (probably packages of blanks) myself so if that is ok with you plan on covering 1st -3rd, I'll cover the other 2. I'll PM you about the details of that later this evening. I did specify it to be a "functional" pen in the rules. In fact is was the very first thing I said. :wink:

My last thing I need to know is what might be the timeline for when you would like this to kick off. TY TY!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Landon,

I understand that there has been editing and that is the reason there is a conflict in the comments above.

So, to be clear (you know I am ALWAYS clear): There will be THREE entries picked by the judges, upon which there will be "poll of the membership" judging to place them??

I FEAR (My Opinion, not a fact) that you will find there are more than three "heads above the rest" entries.

PERSONALLY (again an opinion, you can ignore!!) I would pick at least 6, up to 10 (forum software will allow a 10 entry poll) and just get rid of the "Nearly made it" prize.

Please understand that I heard all kinds of comments last year, because I was in touch with prize winners. So, most of this is rehashing others' thoughts. BUT, if I found them worth remembering. With as little as I remember these days, they made an IMPACT, so you MAY want to consider.

I will NOT be hurt if you ignore this completely!!!!!

Good luck, you are off to a strong start (of course, that's also just my OPINION--- you CAN ignore it too!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
OK, no more editing. I'll post all changes for comparisons. :wink: Ed, yes judges will narrow the field (whoever the judges are). Actually narrow to 4, then to 3, with 4th being the "almost made it" winner. Yes there will, and should be, more than 3-4 outstanding entries. I understand the tough job for the judges to reduce the field. That is why they are paid the "BIG BUXX" :eek: It would not matter if it were 3, 4, 10, or 20, someone who just missed will feel their pen was better. I don't say that to be difficult, it is just simple human nature. I will do away with the "almost made it" prize and go with top ten if that is the way everyone feels. The other alternative is to give prizes to 4th-10th and the "almost" prize to 11th. Otherwise, as was pointed out to me, 1-3 would get prizes and 11th would get one while 4th-10th receive nothing. This was my reasoning for narrowing the field so far. I hope this is not taken as me on a "power trip", in fact it is just the opposite. I am asking for input and have tried to implement most all of the suggestions given, (I agreed with most of them). Everyone, please let me know if I am out of line in my thinking. I will do as the group wishes if that is what I need to do. Thanks,

Landon

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Landon,

"SUGGESTION" is spelled differently from DEMAND!!!

It is YOUR contest, YOU will be given all the honor and glory!!!!!

You will also get all the ****. (management forum).

I wish you ALL POSITIVE comments, when the contest is over and the members speak!!!!

Good luck run it as you prefer, as "management" we may disagree, but we all hang together!!!

Go for it, guy (again management forum, "guy" is ok)!!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hey Landon,

"SUGGESTION" is spelled differently from DEMAND!!!

It is YOUR contest, YOU will be given all the honor and glory!!!!!

You will also get all the ****. (management forum).

I wish you ALL POSITIVE comments, when the contest is over and the members speak!!!!

Good luck run it as you prefer, as "management" we may disagree, but we all hang together!!!

Go for it, guy (again management forum, "guy" is ok)!!!

Thanks. :wink:

As soon as I get my allocation of prizes I'll finalize things and post for you all to review. Is there a preference for the timeline. This might be a lenghty to build project so I was thinking should it run the majority of the month. Any comments or SUGGESTIONS :biggrin: on this?

Len Shreck

I agree that no matter how many you decide to set up to be judged there will be someone, or more, that will feel wronged I am also a believer that 1-3 is the best format everything has 1st 2nd and 3rd places. JMHO. As I said before I am new and this is my first time being involved with anything in this type of format.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is my update, as soon as I know my allocation of prizes I'll put the finishing touches on it:
Freestyle Pen Contest.

The Rules are simple: The objective is to make a functional pen. Only pens that are new to the site this month will be eligible. Not important when you started and/or finished it, it just has to be a pen that wasn't shown prior to February 1st 2010.

All entries must be submitted by 5:00 PM Mountain time on Feb 20th. The winner will be announced on Feb. 28th.
Judging will be a 2 part process. First a panel of judges will pick the top 3 pens, then we will post a poll to let users vote for the winners. The poll will be posted on Feb 23rd, and winners will be pulled from the poll at 9:00 PM Mountain time on Feb 27th.

This contest is open to anybody who wants to compete. Any and all styles of pen will work. Qualities to be taken into consideration will be: originality of materials used, originality of the pens concept, functionality (remember it must be a working pen), fit & finish, and overall "WOW factor".
***The 1st place winner will be required to donate the winning entry to IAP to be raffled off at a time TBD later as a fundraiser to help with the cost of running the forum.***

---Prizes
These prizes will be based on the user votes.

1st place
TBA
2nd place
TBA
3rd place
TBA

These winners will be decided by the judges/random draw

Almost Made It (4th place) - For the pen that almost made it into the voting but didn't.
TBA
Random Voter - This one is simple, all you have to do is follow along with the thread and vote for your favorite pen. I will randomly pick one voter from the list, and give you a prize.
TBA

Basic Rules Recap
1. Entry must be a pen.
2. You can enter only once. You should try to take the best picture possible. Judges will use the photos to quantify the quality of the pen. (i.e. If the pen appears out of round in the pictures the judges will have to assume it is out of round.)
3. In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by the judges.
4. Entries should be posted to this forum topic.

I'm in need of judges, I have some in mind to recruit if they are not planning to participate, do I have any volunteers here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom