Free Units Converter App for iPhone/iPad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Our recent Metric vs Imperial thread reminded me that it's been a while since I last made this offer to IAP members.

There are many unit converter apps available, but frankly, most aren't worth the time it takes to download them. Here's a chance to get the best one available (IMHO) at no charge - not only does it have over 1,800 units in 53 categories, it also has several calculators & numeric converters as well as many handy reference charts

Just send me a PM & I will send yo a redemption code that you can use to download the app at no charge. First 50 requests will be honored.

Sorry, it's only available for iOS devices.
Edgar

Attachments

• C0C66789-CDB1-4246-BBA0-5A51891D043E.jpeg
    C0C66789-CDB1-4246-BBA0-5A51891D043E.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 80
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There is a recent update available. Some UI improvements & some mods to resolve some issues with iOS 15.

It used to be called iGotCharts but it's now called Converter Calculator. The app ID is the same, so it should be no problem to get the update if yours still has the old name.

If you have trouble finding it, just search on Dohmann Engineering Services.

BULLWINKLE

Our recent Metric vs Imperial thread reminded me that it's been a while since I last made this offer to IAP members.

There are many unit converter apps available, but frankly, most aren't worth the time it takes to download them. Here's a chance to get the best one available (IMHO) at no charge - not only does it have over 1,800 units in 53 categories, it also has several calculators & numeric converters as well as many handy reference charts

Just send me a PM & I will send yo a redemption code that you can use to download the app at no charge. First 50 requests will be honored.

Edgar
Pm sent. Thanks

penicillin

I use and highly recommend a calculator program for Mac and iOS called "PCalc". I cannot recommend this program strongly enough. Yes, it is just another calculator, like saying an F-35 is "just a plane". Sorry, it is not available for Windows, Linux, or Android.

What I like about it:
  • Conversions? Everything I could ever want. I do not know if it is better or worse than @Edgar's recommendation, but it goes far beyond any need I have ever encountered. It also offers currency conversions.
  • It supports both methods for performing calculations: The usual "=" type that everyone knows, and the "RPN" style that old engineers sometimes prefer. I use RPN.
  • Flexibility - You can configure it in so many ways. It is easy, and the defaults work fine. Once you find a configuration you like, I doubt you will change it. I have not.
  • Ease of use - You can have a simple calculator view, or one that offers more for engineers, etc.
  • Features and capabilities - essentially anything you could ever want in a calculator.
    • Programmers and engineers will find the features they need, including hexadecimal and binary functions, etc.
  • It just works.
Disclaimer:
I know the developer and helped him many years ago. We have not communicated in well over a decade. He is a good, decent, hardworking guy.

https://www.pcalc.com

Edit (added later): The PCalc app costs $9.99 for either the Mac application or the iOS app. It is well worth the cost in my opinion.

Last edited:

penicillin

Since we are on the subject of conversion, here is another must-have app for your smartphone:

I use and highly recommend the IAP Bushings & Tubes App, which is available for iOS and Android. Yes, the same IAP whose website you are looking at right now.

The primary function of the IAP Bushings and Tubes is to provide an instant-lookup database full of bushing and tube dimension information for a huge number of pen kits. The database is downloaded from an online source, which is maintained and updated periodically, so your app always has the latest information.

The true hidden "must have" feature of the app that I love is the "Drill Bit Converter" function. It will convert between Fractional Inches, Decimal Inches, Metric, and Drill Gauge (standard letters or numbers).

The Good:
You can enter a value in any of the four fields and see the matching conversions (and closest drill gauge) in the other three fields.

The REALLY REALLY GREAT:
-> It shows the rounding errors for the conversions!!!

Example: If you enter "0.123" in Decimal Inches, the converter will show:
  • Inch Frac: 1/8
    • with a Fraction Rounding Error = 0.002000
  • Inch Dec: 0.123 (what you just entered)
  • Metric: 3.1242
  • Gauge Drill: 31
    • with a Gauge Drill Error = -0.003000
All I can say about it is "Wow!"

Edit (added later): The IAP app costs $1.00. Yes. One buck. Buy it.

Last edited:

darrin1200

@Edgar
OH MY GOD

Calling that just a "conversion calculator", is like calling The Encyclopedia Brittanica "a book with words"
It is going to take me some time to really check it all out.

Thank you Very Very Much.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
@Edgar
OH MY GOD

Calling that just a "conversion calculator", is like calling The Encyclopedia Brittanica "a book with words"

It was originally called iGotCharts and started out life as a collection of handy reference charts & publications. It's grown a bit over the years. 😉

It also includes a very comprehensive User Guide that you can view, email, or print. Just tap on the info button at the top left of the main page to go to the information page.

Thanks - I hope you enjoy it & find it useful.

Last edited:

KenB259

@Edgar
OH MY GOD

I second this there is a huge amount of info in there you can access. Thank you so much Edgar.

Sataro

Thank

Edgar
I second this there is a huge amount of info in there you can access. Thank you so much Edgar.
Thanks Edgar! Like others have said, huge amount of info in here. It will take a while to throughly look at every thing in this app.

BULLWINKLE

Since we are on the subject of conversion, here is another must-have app for your smartphone:

I use and highly recommend the IAP Bushings & Tubes App, which is available for iOS and Android. Yes, the same IAP whose website you are looking at right now.

The primary function of the IAP Bushings and Tubes is to provide an instant-lookup database full of bushing and tube dimension information for a huge number of pen kits. The database is downloaded from an online source, which is maintained and updated periodically, so your app always has the latest information.

The true hidden "must have" feature of the app that I love is the "Drill Bit Converter" function. It will convert between Fractional Inches, Decimal Inches, Metric, and Drill Gauge (standard letters or numbers).

The Good:
You can enter a value in any of the four fields and see the matching conversions (and closest drill gauge) in the other three fields.

The REALLY REALLY GREAT:
-> It shows the rounding errors for the conversions!!!

Example: If you enter "0.123" in Decimal Inches, the converter will show:
  • Inch Frac: 1/8
    • with a Fraction Rounding Error = 0.002000
  • Inch Dec: 0.123 (what you just entered)
  • Metric: 3.1242
  • Gauge Drill: 31
    • with a Gauge Drill Error = -0.003000
All I can say about it is "Wow!"

Edit (added later): The IAP app costs $1.00. Yes. One buck. Buy it.
It's a terrific app for all pen turners. Besides the drill bit converter, it's convenient to have kit instructions for virtually every project available. All members, and all pen turners should get this app. A tremendous amount of work has gone into making it and there is hardly a day I don't refer to it. A great reference.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think I have replied to all requests. If I missed anyone please let me know.

I still have codes available if anyone else would like a copy of the app.
Edgar

Top Bottom