• Pen 9

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Pen 10

Votes: 14 9.7%

• Total voters

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here are the submissions for the Freestyle pen contest. Thank you to all who entered. Please vote for your favorite pen. Also please comment as well.
Let the voting begin.:handshake:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Freestyle 1

Tell us about your entry: This fountain pen is an attempt to simulate a high end pool cue. The maple shaft has an alternate ivory ferrule and genuine tip. The butt is Amboyna burl highlighted with epoxy points, abalone inlays as well as Truestone and alternate ivory accents. The end bumper and section are from ebonite. A custom brass coupling with triple start threads joins the 2 piece cue.

Attachments

• Freestyle 1a.jpg
    Freestyle 1a.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Freestyle 1.jpg
    Freestyle 1.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 372
Freestyle 2

Tell us about your entry: I call this Everything is Awesome!The pen and stand are based around a gun metal slimline and are mostly made of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene....also known as Legos. The pen body is made of original drilled out lego heads. The stand features is also made of Legos and is multi positional as shown including an adjustable headrest.

Attachments

• Freestyle 2.jpg
    Freestyle 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 330
  • Freestyle2a.jpg
    Freestyle2a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Freestyle2b.jpg
    Freestyle2b.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 292
Freestyle 3

Tell us about your entry: Breaking Down Barriers My inspiration for this pen came from the story in Ezekiel 26:9 where King Nebuchadnezzar used his trusty battering ram to destroy the gates of Tyre. A battering ram was a siege weapon used in ancient times to break open fortification walls or doors. In its simplest form, a battering ram is just a large, heavy log carried by several people and propelled with force against an obstacle such as the gates or doors of a fortress. The momentum of the ram would be sufficient to damage the target if the log were heavy enough, or if it were moved quickly enough. My creation started coming together in April. I wanted the wheels to have the feel of logs fastened together, so I segmented and turned each wheel from 15 pieces of wood and veneer. Each wheel is attached to the frame using 7mm tubing for the axle, slimline finials inside and an unknown cap finial for the outside hub. I made washers from cork as spacers between wheel and the siege engine. The frame is built from reclaimed tornado damaged oak using rough cut lumber to simulate battle worn wood. The roof was stripped with oak also for the additional protection it would provide. I took tanned cow leather and cut it to resemble animal skins before attaching them to the roof (these would be soaked with water before battle to extinguish the fiery arrows). I painstakingly made each arrow with toothpicks and what I believe to be pieces of pheasant feathers, attaching each arrow as if had been shot as the attack was starting. The pen is semi kitless. I used tubes from an Imperial for the pen body, and the nib and feed section from an old Olympian that I had parted out previously. The Ebony is charred on the back end as if it had been burned by a fiery arrow. The cap is the all business end of this one. I took copper pipe and split the end to make the spikes to hold the fire. I secured it to the end by using wooden spikes made from toothpicks. After completion I took a limb saw to scrape the ram to create grooves. The cradle that holds the ram is made of walnut held by leather lacing attached to the top of the frame. After completing the entire build, I took a torch and flamed the entire battering ram to give it the war worn look a real siege weapon deserves. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the Birthday Bash.

Attachments

• Freestyle 3.jpg
    Freestyle 3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 321
  • Freestyle 3a.jpg
    Freestyle 3a.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Freestyle 3b.jpg
    Freestyle 3b.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 443
Freestyle 4

Tell us about your entry: Santa pen was made from standard 7mm slimline tubes, transmission and nib. The body is colored polymer clay, highlighted with acrylic paint, then varnished. The chimney stand is polymer clay over a poplar block. The clay was painted, then modeling paste was added to resemble snow.

Attachments

• Freestyle4.jpg
    Freestyle4.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Freestyle 4a.jpg
    Freestyle 4a.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Freestyle 4b.jpg
    Freestyle 4b.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 275
Freestyle 5

Tell us about your entry: Any Whovians out there? This is David Tennant's Sonic Screwdriver! It is made with grey, amber, and black, and blue alumilite and white with gold vein trustone. All pieces are threaded by yours truly and made on a wood lathe. The blue stripe was created by taking my trustone to a mitre saw and making the smallest of incisions and then filling it with CA and blue. Most of it was turned in-between centers. Total weight is 65g and the pen is 22.1 cm long.

Attachments

• Freestyle 5.jpg
    Freestyle 5.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 484
  • Freestyle 5a.jpg
    Freestyle 5a.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 375
Freestyle 6

This is a Les Paul Guitar themed freestyle pen made with an Executive Rollerball Pen Kit. Quilted Maple was used from the same blank. Recycled Indian Pallet wood was incorporated into the design for the pickups, fretboard and removable neck. It was finished with a French Polish Recipe. Ting oil was applied to the Curly Maple base.
Tools used for this project included a bandsaw, belt sander and a hobby fine tooth saw to cut the fine lines on the fretboard. The smaller pieces were hand sanded to desired shape, thickness and detail. The five controls on the guitar body consist of crushed abalone shell mixed with epoxy.
The pen can sit on a desk or taken with you as the cap and clip are installed into the guitar body.

Attachments

• Freestyle 6a.jpg
    Freestyle 6a.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Freestyle 6b.jpg
    Freestyle 6b.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Freestyle 6.jpg
    Freestyle 6.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 327
Freestyle 7

Tell us about your entry: This pen us made with an authentic IWC Porsche Design watch dial on Carbon Fiber wrapped tubes. This particular pen has over 100 individual parts! It is shown on one of our custom made display bases. The nib is an 18kt gold fine tip nib with our initials laser marked on the top of it. This pen is a Dragon design with the Dragon on the clip. Center band also has the Dragon wrapped around it. To finish this pen off the caps final has a Red rhinestone that represents the eye of the Dragon. I hope you enjoy this pen as much as I have making it! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Freestyle 7.jpg
    Freestyle 7.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 386
  • Freestyle 7a.jpg
    Freestyle 7a.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Freestyle 7b.jpg
    Freestyle 7b.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 344
Freestyle 8

Tell us about your entry: "Zen Garden Pen" A bamboo head with blackwood tines and handle form the rake for this Zen Garden. When the head is removed, the handle becomes a dip pen. The sandbox (also made of bamboo) has a slot to set the pen/rake on and four calligraphy nib holders (which also store the head when it is removed). The tines were turned from square stock and are mounted at a 100 degree angle for easier raking. The handle/pen terminates in a scalloped tail, so it can be used to draw in the sand as well.

Attachments

• Freestyle 8.jpg
    Freestyle 8.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 384
  • Freestyle 8a.jpg
    Freestyle 8a.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Freestyle 8b.jpg
    Freestyle 8b.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 294
Freestyle 9

Tell us about your entry: Some times you just have too many bills to pay and you need a larger ink reservoir ! Aspen poplar , ant excavated , Alumilite filled , product of an unrepeatable accident .

Attachments

• Freestyle 9.jpg
    Freestyle 9.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Freestyle 9a.jpg
    Freestyle 9a.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Freestyle 9b.jpg
    Freestyle 9b.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 239
Freestyle 10

Tell us about your entry: The PSI Victorian was begging to be punked. Gaudy castings were turned off creating elements that looked like steam couplings with small screws and washers added to complete the look. The tubes reflect the hammered copper boiler look with riveted steel bands. A small selection of gears and watch levers were added for controls, The entire finial was replaced with a custom copper turning that features a pressure gauge in the end that is red-lined at 11! I hope you like it!

Attachments

• Freestyle 10.jpg
    Freestyle 10.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Freestyle 10a.jpg
    Freestyle 10a.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Freestyle 10b.jpg
    Freestyle 10b.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 279

Dale Lynch

This is why I don't jump in this one.My creativity would be soo outclassed I'd be ashamed of what I did.Phenominal concepts in the contest,fantastic results.

jttheclockman

This is the contest I look forward to the most. The creativeness is there. The thinking outside the box is there. The talent shows through. I wish there either was more of these contests during the year or people would just take it upon themselves and create things such as this. I will have to really look these over. The other contests for me were easy. This will not be easy. Good luck to all and job well done by all. Very cool.

firewhatfire

Expectations were high, and met. Most awesome work is shown here.

Can all of the freestyle pens over the years be posted in one location or thread somewhere.

Phil

greggas

Great work and tremendous amount of effort by all. thanks for making this one of the more memorable contests. I even had to google "Whovians"

Good luck all

Si90

Been looking forward to this one. Well done to everyone, some fantastic thinking and great pens have been produced, now to pick just one :confused:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yowza!! :eek: Now there are ten more reasons why I stopped competing!!:wink:

Exceptional craftsmanship by all entrants!! Choosing just one wasn't easy!!

jttheclockman

Man that was tough. I went through those pens a few times. There are no losers on this one for sure. Everyone who entered should stand up and take a bow. I would not be surprised if there is going to be a tie. Well I picked one and now I have to take a rest. :)

bobleibo

I am amazed by the amount creative imagination and craftsmanship that ends in a finished piece of art. Well done.

magier412

Such creativity and craftsmanship! I look forward to this one...and am never disappointed! Congratulations to all...very VERY well done!

Top Bottom