Free Samples-Not What You Think!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dolphinjon

Well, I ordered some samples. That was about a week ago and I haven't recieved them, so I guess I won't get them.
I do want to say that I have used Avonite and Formica. I got a box of 100 blanks off of e-bay and only about half of them or Corian. I've been very happy with all of the solid surface blanks. i just wanted to try out a few colors that I didn't have. All I'm saying is I thought it was pretty good material and I've had a positive experience with it.

Jonathan

Skye

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Looks like plain english to me------
Nothing to read between the lines---------

The three devil heads say otherwise.

I got my samples today ironicly enough. I tell ya, I dont know how it would turn, but the 'Treasure Artifacts' and the 'Copper Artifacts' would make some nice looking pens. Almost like a cross between crushed velvet and an extreme burl. Wish the sample was larger...

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just FYI, I've gotten some emails from Mr Dewayne Michaels. He mentioned that his choice of words might have been a little too strong for the situation, but he also pointed out that the cost for sending a sample pack is about $30 (material, time, postage, etc.) That could certainly justify his frustration with the situation initially.

Now the good news. He's willing to supply material for us if we can get enough orders together to make up the equivalent of a half sheet. That could include a variety of different colors.

Obviously, the first thing is to see how it turns. Has anyone gotten a turnable sample? I asked if I could get a scrap piece thicker than the samples. If he can provide that, I'll send some to a few of you for an opinion.

If it turns as nice as it looks, then one of you can "volunteer" to coordinate a bulk buy, which would include cutting up slabs into blanks. I'll let you know how this progresses.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have some material on the way to me. Dewayne says some is an exact match for Corian, and the rest is similar in workability. We might have some nice stuff here.

I'll divide up what I get and send out to some of you. How about those interested make a post here. Five people should suffice.

angboy

I'd love to try- I'm not as experienced as some of the others on here, but I think it'd be fun to try out some new material! (But if you want seasoned turners, then feel free to skip me and go to the next person.)

TomServo

Just to bump an old grind... as it were.. here's my second set of samples: (the first ones were the formica, i think) one avonite and two dovae i believe.. one is 4x4": These shipped from a different address than the first set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom