Free blanks and a "deal"...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Wood species clue

Hi everybody,

While you all are working on what to do for this "event", I decided to "tease" you all with a big bunch of blanks I have made already, since all from the previous batch was gone, in a flash. This are to list on my web-store, actually 4 packs are already gone, from a visit I had yesterday of 3 blokes that turn and decided to get in a car and come for a drive to George's place...!

These may actually be a little darker on the blue dye, I made a new mix (juice and dyes) and I reckon I made it a little stronger but, it doesn't affect anything so, all good...!

Now, the most annoying thing for the 16 of you participating is that, all the blanks have their respective wood species identification number, on the blank's end-grain but, I turned it around, so that you couldn't see it...!:eek::biggrin:

So, you are most welcome to call me "some names", and punch the wall, just make sure you don't hurt your hand and, keep those names for yourself and untold publically, that wouldn't be nice...!:wink::biggrin:

I reckon that, the first pen pics and wood species guess, will come very soon, I would say within the next 36 hours:biggrin:, lets see how wrong I am...!

Go and get back to work, time is running...!:wink::)

PS: Just in case you don't know, I have been called a "bastard" lots of times...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Skewer

My package showed up yesterday also. I liked the lighter colored blank of the two better, but my 4 year old son liked the darker one...and he's practically the boss around here so I'll be getting started on that one...

southernclay

Well George,

Here you go. My entry to the "deal" contest. First off thanks for doing this, fun as always. Second, cool blanks! The blank turned very well. As a matter of fact to double challenge myself I decided to turn the whole pen with a skew which I haven't done yet. The nice turning timber helped that challenge I think.

So I made a chrome closed end Zen. Very little sanding and then finished with Pens Plus. I'm pleased with all aspects of this one. I think the chrome, blue and coloration of the mystery wood knots and grain work very well together.

Speaking of knots and mystery wood.......I'm guessing #25 Knotty (Knotted) Pine. Now off to wait on the sidelines for a month or so to find out :)

Looking forward to seeing the other pens!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 260

robutacion

Well George,

Here you go. My entry to the "deal" contest. First off thanks for doing this, fun as always. Second, cool blanks! The blank turned very well. As a matter of fact to double challenge myself I decided to turn the whole pen with a skew which I haven't done yet. The nice turning timber helped that challenge I think.

So I made a chrome closed end Zen. Very little sanding and then finished with Pens Plus. I'm pleased with all aspects of this one. I think the chrome, blue and coloration of the mystery wood knots and grain work very well together.

Speaking of knots and mystery wood.......I'm guessing #25 Knotty (Knotted) Pine. Now off to wait on the sidelines for a month or so to find out :)

Looking forward to seeing the other pens!

Well, you started the show in great style, you make a beautiful pen out of the blanks sent. I'm also pleased that, you found it pleasant to work with, that certainly helps, regardless of what tools you use, thanks...!

As for your wood species guess, the only thing I can say is, I wish you luck...!:)

As for the waiting time before you know where you stand, that will all depend of the other contestants, as I announced previously, if all 16 pens are entered well before the 15 December 2014, I will have to problem in bring forwards the judging and announcements, there are 2 other judges already confirmed, Mark James and Jeff (yes, our own forum boss), I would have to consult with them but, I would think at this point that, they would be willing to provide their votes/scores within 24 to 48 hours from the 16th pen entry so, will keep that though and the fact that, waiting times can be considerably reduced, if all participants make and post their entry ASAP...!:wink::confused:

No pressure, though...!:eek::)

PS: I had the premonition that, the first contest pen and guess, was going to the entered within 36 hours from my posting time yesterday, it seems that I was right...!

Cheers
George

Skewer

Here is my entry...I like the yellow rings that came out in the wood - not sure how you did that, George...but I like it. As for the wood i'm going to guess 18 - Golden Wattle.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 242

robutacion

Here is my entry...I like the yellow rings that came out in the wood - not sure how you did that, George...but I like it. As for the wood i'm going to guess 18 - Golden Wattle.

G'day Jeff,

Thank you for your entry pen and wood species guess, most appreciated...!

Beautiful pen you made and a great finish...!:biggrin:

Your wood species guess has been recorded so, you will know the results, the day after the contest is closed...!

Thank you...!

Cheers
George

Krash

In addition to being a beautiful wood on the outside, I am finding some pretty interesting innards also. Check this out!

You done it again George!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 231

robutacion

In addition to being a beautiful wood on the outside, I am finding some pretty interesting innards also. Check this out!

You done it again George!

Those are the wood characteristics/natural elements that made me consider work on them to enhance further its capabilities, that go unnoticed all the time. I will explain what I mean, after the contest is over...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Rounder

My Deal Pics

Here are the pictures of my pen for the "Deal". First, a thanks to Robutacion for the deal and the opportunity. So very kind of you sir and I do appreciate it and what you do for the IAP. Very good to you sir.

My pen is a modified Slimline Pro Clicker. I didn't want to break the continuity of the blank by cutting it into 2 pieces. I did mess up and did not allow for the middle ring so I had to cut down my ink refill to make it work properly. My first modified pen so it was a learning experience.

I was hoping to get my wood species guess in first as I agree with the first posted pen that it is the #25 Knotty Pine. I had received a PITH pen from Robutacion (the screw pen) that was made from the same wood, I am very, very, very, very, very almost sure of. I felt my only chance to win a prize was to be the first correct guess on the wood species but I feel Southernclay got it right first.

This was great fun and thanks again George for some great wood.

Attachments

• P1040599.JPG
    P1040599.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 227
  • P1040604.JPG
    P1040604.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 232
  • P1040603.JPG
    P1040603.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 234
  • P1040598.JPG
    P1040598.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 236

southernclay

That's a cool pen Randy! I didn't know you could make that kit look like a long clicker. Also, is there not a black stripe down that clip or do my eyes fool me?

George, hope you are ok with posting about others post, not trying to hijack thread:redface:

Rounder

That's a cool pen Randy! I didn't know you could make that kit look like a long clicker. Also, is there not a black stripe down that clip or do my eyes fool me?

George, hope you are ok with posting about others post, not trying to hijack thread:redface:

No black stripe. The kit is a black titanium slimline pro click kit. I wasn't sure if I could make a long clicker out of it either. And I did forget to add length for the center ring that I left out. So I had to cut the refill shorter so it didn't stick out all the time.

robutacion

Here's my entry.

I think the blank is

78-Scarlet Kunzea shrub wood

Absolutely stunning Kelly, very well made/pretty, thank you also for your wood species guess...!

Despite the beauty of what you done, I didn't even think about the "changes" some people would consider making/adding to the blanks, segmentation is one of them where, if I had thought of it, I would ask participants to not do, I would prefer to see the blank on its own merit and see how far people would push with it without, transforming its structure/characteristics...!

With this said, I have also to say that, I'm the only one to blame for not specifying anything about altering the blank, that would take us to another completely world, one of which has no limits...!

So, and because I failed to specify this, whatever the alterations you think in making to the blank, have to be accepted as just an element of pen making/dressing...!

I'm pretty sure that you understand what I'm trying to say kelly, you done no wrong here, and I like what you did but, I would have preferred to see no segmentations...!

With this give the pen a winning edge and will others that are participating and that made or will make no modifications to the blanks, feel that, its unfair...??? probably however, not stipulating "no blank alterations", everyone has the right to use the blank the way they see fit, exactly what you did, and that is OK...!

Is exciting for me, seeing all the different work you folks do with my blanks, a great self reward, no doubt so, thank you for that, I shall do more of these contests...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Here are the pictures of my pen for the "Deal". First, a thanks to Robutacion for the deal and the opportunity. So very kind of you sir and I do appreciate it and what you do for the IAP. Very good to you sir.

My pen is a modified Slimline Pro Clicker. I didn't want to break the continuity of the blank by cutting it into 2 pieces. I did mess up and did not allow for the middle ring so I had to cut down my ink refill to make it work properly. My first modified pen so it was a learning experience.

I was hoping to get my wood species guess in first as I agree with the first posted pen that it is the #25 Knotty Pine. I had received a PITH pen from Robutacion (the screw pen) that was made from the same wood, I am very, very, very, very, very almost sure of. I felt my only chance to win a prize was to be the first correct guess on the wood species but I feel Southernclay got it right first.

This was great fun and thanks again George for some great wood.

Wow mate, you made a very interesting pen, no doubt, thanks...!

Thank you also for your wood species guess, and yes, that "screw" pen I made for you, has been mentioned many times in conversation, both design and wood used are of interest so, all good.

I appreciate your words and you are most welcome...!

Cheers
George

Krash

Here's my entry.

I think the blank is

Absolutely stunning Kelly, very well made/pretty, thank you also for your wood species guess...!

Despite the beauty of what you done, I didn't even think about the "changes" some people would consider making/adding to the blanks, segmentation is one of them where, if I had thought of it, I would ask participants to not do, I would prefer to see the blank on its own merit and see how far people would push with it without, transforming its structure/characteristics...!

With this said, I have also to say that, I'm the only one to blame for not specifying anything about altering the blank, that would take us to another completely world, one of which has no limits...!

So, and because I failed to specify this, whatever the alterations you think in making to the blank, have to be accepted as just an element of pen making/dressing...!

I'm pretty sure that you understand what I'm trying to say kelly, you done no wrong here, and I like what you did but, I would have preferred to see no segmentations...!

With this give the pen a winning edge and will others that are participating and that made or will make no modifications to the blanks, feel that, its unfair...??? probably however, not stipulating "no blank alterations", everyone has the right to use the blank the way they see fit, exactly what you did, and that is OK...!

Is exciting for me, seeing all the different work you folks do with my blanks, a great self reward, no doubt so, thank you for that, I shall do more of these contests...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Oh no! :eek:

If I misunderstood the directions and if people think the segments give any unfair advantage for the pen judging, I would be happy to disqualify myself and just be in the running for the wood identification. People could respond to you directly with their feelings and then you can just let me know without revealing names ... no problem. It's all fun anyway and I am already the winner here by getting some of your fantastic wood blanks to use in my pen making.

Let me know what the consensus is.:)

Last edited:

robutacion

Here's my entry.

I think the blank is

Cheers
George

Oh no!

If I misunderstood the directions and if people think the segments give any unfair advantage for the pen judging, I would be happy to disqualify myself and just be in the running for the wood identification. People could respond to you directly with their feelings and then you can just let me know without revealing names ... no problem. It's all fun anyway and I am already the winner here by getting some of your fantastic wood blanks to use in my pen making.

Hi Kelly,

I'm so sorry to scare you like that but, I'm just trying to address a situation that I created by not specifying any rules in relation to any alterations of the blanks, you did not misunderstood anything mate, I was the one that didn't think of that and after I saw your beautiful pen, I started to think what others may think.

Sure, I like to be fair to everyone, and even considering disqualifying your pen because I would have preferred no modifications to be blank, that would be totally incorrect and unacceptable and I won't allow that so, I don't want you to panic about it, I simply discussed my thoughts with you and let everyone know that, the mistake was mine in failing to make what I did prefer, a rule...!

Everyone got 2 blanks and unless one was damaged/destroyed, anyone can now change their plans to what they were considering to make, apart from those that already posted however, I must say that, I would still prefer to see the blanks unmodified but, now that I realize that I didn't let the contestants know my preferences, anything you do to it, will be OK.

Look, I have no problem with it now, either way is fine by me so, if Kelly's pen has created the question if segmentation or any other blank modifications are acceptable, the answer is YES, you do it the way you want to do it, the "stipulation" was not made in the beginning as it should have so, I accept my mistake and will be whatever you decided to do.

My apologies...!

PS: Relax Kelly, you have nothing to worry about...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Rounder

Here's my entry.

I think the blank is

Cheers
George

I think everyone got the directions wrong but me and all other 15 contestants should be disqualified! :wink: ( I do hope all see the jocularity and sarcasm in my statement as it is intended!)

Truly though, no disqualification should be forthcoming as George has said. The specifics of no alterations was not specified and you have made a beautiful pen out of beautiful wood.

robutacion

Here's my entry.

I think the blank is

Cheers
George

I think everyone got the directions wrong but me and all other 15 contestants should be disqualified! :wink: ( I do hope all see the jocularity and sarcasm in my statement as it is intended!)

Truly though, no disqualification should be forthcoming as George has said. The specifics of no alterations was not specified and you have made a beautiful pen out of beautiful wood.

Hahahahaha, I get your joke but, you are incorrect...!:eek: why..??? because you forgotten that, southernclay and Skewer have already posted they pen and they made no structural alterations on the blanks, appart from cutting it and turn it a lot thinner...!:wink::biggrin:

Hahahahahhaha...!:biggrin::biggrin::foot-in-mouth:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

glenspens

JR Gent II Black Titanium roller with #58 blank I think......:cool:

---------------------------------------------------

Edited;
As suggested, a second lot of pics were taken in better light and posted on post #64

George

Last edited by a moderator:

robutacion

Thanks mate, the pen looks pretty good, shame the pics are a bit dark, if you decided to re-take the pics with better light, that will be OK, you just let me know. This is simply a suggestion, nothing more...!:wink::biggrin:

Thanks also for your guess of the wood species on these blanks...!

Cheers
George

glenspens

take 2

Thanks mate, the pen looks pretty good, shame the pics are a bit dark, if you decided to re-take the pics with better light, that will be OK, you just let me know. This is simply a suggestion, nothing more...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George
not to good at pic taking see if these look any better:eek:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 206
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 194

robutacion

Cheers
George
not to good at pic taking see if these look any better:eek:

A lot better mate, it helps with the judging when we can see well what is in the pics, after all the trouble people go through to make the pen, is only fair that they try to take the best photos the can and know how. I'm not the best photographer either, I understand how annoying is to not be able to take pics that represent a very close image to what our eyes can see, sure there are cameras and techniques that, can help you considerably with the task.

This will be applicable to anyone else, that try to enter their pen into this thread and that, for whatever the reason, the pics don't turn out as expected but, you want to make the entry official, deciding to re-take the pics, is not problem while the pen/blank is the same and the pic limit is not exceeded...!

Cheers
George

MarkD

Here is my entry.
Based on the Jack-O-Lantern resemblance that appeared in a knot in this beautiful wood, I believe George may have been considering a Halloween contest and got the blanks messed up. :biggrin:
Regardless, this is a beautiful piece of wood that turned and finished like a dream. There is so much coloring in this blank that the photos can't begin to do it justice.
The pen is a closed end Triton with a custom finial.
As for my "guess" of the wood species I'm guessing #58- Norfolk Pine

robutacion

Thanks Mark, your pen entry is noted...!

A very beautiful pen, very well made and finished...!

One of the reasons of my inspiration to do these blanks, is my acknowledge of the natural beauty of certain parts of this wood, is its natural characteristics that the stabilization and dying blue did bring out, in such a beautiful way however, and despite of my best attempts to give everyone an equal combination of blanks, having a limit of 2 blanks per person, that is never easy nor will, result in exact matches for every 2 blanks, there are never 2 blanks the same therefore, some blanks may offer better "goodies" than others, that some people may utilize better than others, that is all part of the individual tastes and ways to see each blank and is potential...!:biggrin:

I was expecting some "treasures" and so far, I have not been disappointed, thank you...!:wink::biggrin:

You wood species guess is also noted, thank you.

Cheers
George

robutacion

Here is my submittal - an artist sketch pencil with gold hardware. I wanted to use a single tube to show off the knots and color in the blank. The finish is CA/ BLO. I believe the blank is knotty pine.

Hi Karl,

I'm re-acknowledging your entry, due to the re-arrangement of the posts related to you pen failed pics to show up properly the first time.

The pen is beautiful, very well made, thank you...!

I have also noted your timber species guess, thank you.

Cheers
George

WalkOn

My "Deal" Entry

Here are my "Deal" pictures, a PSI Executive - Black/TN with CA finish. As for the type of wood this is, well that is a mystery...., so I'll guess. It is definitely 34 Toona Tree. Also, I don't think anyone else pick that wood, so I'm voting Toona, all the way!

Seriously George, thanks for doing this, it's been fun and these are some very nice blanks. Looking forward to buying some, once I out finally learn what the heck they are!

Kev

Exec_Black_TN_WalkOn_1.jpg Exec_Black_TN_WalkOn_2.jpg Exec_Black_TN_WalkOn_3.jpg Exec_Black_TN_WalkOn_4.jpg

Last edited:

robutacion

Here are my "Deal" pictures, a PSI Executive - Black/TN with CA finish. As for the type of wood this is, well that is a mystery...., so I'll guess. It is definitely 34 Toona Tree. Also, I don't think anyone else pick that wood, so I'm voting Toona, all the way!

Seriously George, thanks for doing this, it's been fun and these are some very nice blanks. Looking forward to buying some, once I out finally learn what the heck they are!

Kev

G'day mate,

Great work you done with that blank, those one long piece body pens, is start to grow on me, definitely a good way to showcase almost a full blank in one piece, well done...!

As for your wood species guess, you don't have to look for any other wood that, was not yet guessed, if you know or you thing you know what it is, name it anyway, that's fine ...!

Good luck,

PS: Great pictures

Cheers
George

akingkubo

George,
Your blanks are beautiful! Are you going to have those available for us to buy in your store after the contest or do you already have them available to sell?
Maria

Krash

George,
Your blanks are beautiful! Are you going to have those available for us to buy in your store after the contest or do you already have them available to sell?
Maria

If they were available to sell then you could just go out and find it to use as your guess for the wood type for this contest. :rolleyes:

But, since I already gave the correct answer, it wouldn't do you any good. :wink: :biggrin:

Ha ha .... I'll probably eat those words! :foot-in-mouth:

Last edited:

robutacion

George,
Maria

G'day Maria,

The answer to your question, was already given on the first paragraph, on my post #42.

You all have to wait until the 16 December, before you can actually buy them on my store, sorry...!

There is really no other way to do this, if O want to keep the game integrity and my own so, not long to wait...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

George,
Maria

If they were available to sell then you could just go out and find it to use as your guess for the wood type for this contest. :rolleyes:

But, since I already gave the correct answer, it wouldn't do you any good. :wink: :biggrin:

Ha ha .... I'll probably eat those words! :foot-in-mouth:

Your confidence is contagious kelly, let see how correct you are, on the 16/12/14...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

walshjp17

Here you go, George. I decided to use a kit that would display most of this beautiful blank. Therefore I chose a Log Clicker from Exotic Blanks. It is a gun metal finish on the hardware and CA on the blank (two coats of thin, sanded back with 600, five coats of medium, sanded back with 600, MM to 12,000, two coats of Meguires PlastX polish and one coat of Ren Wax).

My guess as to the timber would be #33 Tortuosa Willow Burl.

iPhone photo only -- my light tent lights are kaput.

Attachments

• Long Click.jpg
    Long Click.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 188

robutacion

Here you go, George. I decided to use a kit that would display most of this beautiful blank. Therefore I chose a Log Clicker from Exotic Blanks. It is a gun metal finish on the hardware and CA on the blank (two coats of thin, sanded back with 600, five coats of medium, sanded back with 600, MM to 12,000, two coats of Meguires PlastX polish and one coat of Ren Wax).

My guess as to the timber would be #33 Tortuosa Willow Burl.

iPhone photo only -- my light tent lights are kaput.

Thanks John, great looking pen in a kit that is growing on me, nicely done...!

Both pen and wood species guess, are confirmed and noted, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom