Fraud Attempt Thwarted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Woke up yesterday morning, checked my bank account and found a 0 cent pending transaction that took place in Missouri, I'm in Michigan. Contacted the bank right away and they marked my card as stolen. Thankfully is was caught before any actual charges were made. Pays nowadays to keep a close eye on your accounts. To add to the stress, when I got to work, there was a message on my phone, supposedly from Amazon wanting to know I had ordered an Apple Ipad Air pro and an ipad mini, at a cost of 1500 dollars. I had not, but my work phone is not associated in any way with Amazon. They wanted me to call if I had not ordered those items. That is just a phishing scam, as I said my work phone is not associated with Amazon at all. Point is everyone, keep an eye on your accounts and don't fall for these phishing scams.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

THANKS for the ALERT !!!

Weird !!!! . . A " 0 cent pending transaction " !!

Similar stuff happens even in this remote neck of the woods !!!

KenB259

THANKS for the ALERT !!!

Weird !!!! . . A " 0 cent pending transaction " !!

Similar stuff happens even in this remote neck of the woods !!!
Yeah, the bank said they do that just to see if their numbers are valid, that they stole. Probably not a crime to steal 0 cents from someone.

penicillin

There has been a significant increase in various hacking and fraud attempts over the last couple months (Spring, 2021).

Recently, I have seen many phishing attempts in text messages related the US and state government stimulus payments, especially the EDD debit cards that were sent out to many people. Many pretend that they are your financial service provider and say that "your account has been suspended".

COMMON SENSE RULES:

* Never click on links in text or email messages related to financial topics or anything not expected.
* Never enter your personal information, pins, passwords, or other credentials in response to text or email messages.
* Never call a phone number shown in a text or email message related to anything financial, such as banking or payment cards.

* Never give any personal information or access credentials to inbound calls. Do not "confirm" any identify information. If someone calls you related to fraud alerts or anything financial, be polite, give them nothing, and tell them that you will call back using a trusted phone number on your card or statement, then hang up.

* ALWAYS type the website yourself by hand in your browser address bar for these cases. Check it carefully. Look for the padlock icon.
* ALWAYS call the phone number that is printed on the back of your payment card or your bank statements, never from other sources.

Last edited:

Doug Robins

Yesterday, I received an email stating my Discover card was locked and needed to click a link in the email to provide verification of my identity. I don't have a Discover card. I also received notice that my Paypal account was locked, and it wasn't. All this must be because I won't answer phone calls to my cell phone, if I don't recognize the phone number (?)

studioseven

I also received a phone call yesterday purporting to be Amazon to confirm a $400.00 charge. I was supposed to click 1 to speak to a fraud agent. I hung up and went to my account online and as I suspected, it was all phony.

Seven

robutacion

I have just had my credit card and wife's card cancelled and renewed and while I have learned to avoid scams, scammers have also learned to develop better/more efficient ways to get your credit card info and that is what happened to me a couple of weeks back, I fell for a very smart scam that really gets your attention and expectation/excitement when the page requesting my credit card details appears on the computer screen I stopped and thought for a minute or two, is this a scam...? is my credit card details going to be used for unauthorized transactions...?
Well, something was concerning me however, I decided to go ahead and keep a very close eye on my card transactions just in case.

The initial charge was supposed to be $2 but in no time I saw 2 x $1.19 withdrawals being made a few days later I noticed 2 lots of $6.90 from Amazon Prime membership that I'm not part of. A few days later I had another 2 transactions one day apart for memberships to places I never heard of only this time the amounts were starting to be higher, one at about $70 and the other at about $90.

I got on the phone with my bank, told them what happened and that I wanted the cards cancelled and replaced with new ones, I requested that they recover the amounts of those unauthorized transactions which they did on the spot. The new cards took 4 days to arrive and have now been activated.

This is not the first time I had the cards replaced from unauthorized transactions, I believe this is the third time in the last 30 years, I know is going to get harder to prevent getting caught in scams, hopefully, Paypal and Banks are aware of this and help you on the spot.

Cheers
George

Gregf

I have text notification turned on for my card. Get a text anytime a charge is made over .01
.0 would not have triggered a text though.

KenB259

Watching tv one night, got a text that I just bought movie tickets in California.
As we move more and more to a cashless society, there's probably no end in sight for and end to scams, Con games have probably been around as long as humanity.

sbwertz

Last year I got a call from my bank to ask if I had been travelling in Florida. I said no. They said someone had put 4,000 dollars worth of charges on my credit card in Florida. They cancelled the card and sent me a new one and I didn't have to pay anything. They said it was probably scanned by an illegal scanner at a gas station on a recent trip, since I hadn't lost a card.

KenB259

Last year I got a call from my bank to ask if I had been travelling in Florida. I said no. They said someone had put 4,000 dollars worth of charges on my credit card in Florida. They cancelled the card and sent me a new one and I didn't have to pay anything. They said it was probably scanned by an illegal scanner at a gas station on a recent trip, since I hadn't lost a card.
Glad they handled it for you without a hassle.

Ray-CA

My bank put a hold on my card after they noticed some suspicious activities "slightly outside" of my normal spending habits. Someone was trying to buy $25,000 worth of shoes in Mumbai. Unfortunately, they didn't let me know about the hold until my card was refused at a local restaurant and I called them. Luckily, the restaurant owners know me well and let me return later with a different method of payment.

Top Bottom