FP Converter Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

I just finished off the ink cartridge that came with the Jr. Statesman VII FP. Popped it off, and cleaned out the nib and feeder with cool water until only clear water was deposited on paper by the nib. Let it set out overnight to dry. Lowered the plunger on a Roting internation converter, and connected it to the barrel with a twist motion like the directions said. Dipped the nib into the ink, about 1mm from the black plastic ring that can be seen between the nib and the barrel. The hole in the nib was well below the level of ink. Turned the knob on the converter, and no ink entered the converter. Tried again, turning the knob slower, and still no ink. Any ideas what I may have done incorrectly? This is my first exposure to FP's and converters.

I also noticed that the Roting converters do not have a little ball inside of them, but the converters that come with the Barons does. Does this make a difference?

Thanks for the help! Pen and ink are at home, so any suggestions you give won't be tryable until I get home tonight.

Cheers,
Draken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjackman

Draken,
Sounds like you may need to dip in a little deeper. I normally have to dip the entire nib in, right up to the bottom of the section, or as you found, all you suck up is air. As for the ball, the only converters/pumps i've ever seen them in is the cheapie that comes with the barons, etc. I don't know of any purpose the ball serves, so I don't think this is your issue. Dip it deeper and clean up with a tissue or papertowel.

arioux

Hi,

Did you tried to fill the converter by putting it directly in the ink. This will tell you if the problem is the converter or a clogged nib. Second, i'm nor really sure about this one but i know that there is one kind of converter that work in reverse, you have to send the piston down to fill it. But try the converter directly in the ink, that will be the first step to try.

ALfred

Alfred

PenWorks

You are sucking air in one of two places. Either the end of the front section or where the converter goes over the feed. Just fill your converter by dipping it into your ink, this way you don't have to clean your nib and front section.

Draken

Sounds like filing the converter directly is the way to go. Thanks guys! Do I need to do anything special to create a vacuum in the converter once I attach it to the nib, or will the ink flowing into the feeder do that for me?

Cheers,
Draken

Draken

Thanks for all the help, filling the converter directly worked like a charm. I even squeezed a drop out to create the vacuum, but for some odd reason, I expected the drop to come from the tip of the nib, not the vent hole. Next time I'll hold the nib upside down to keep the drop from coating the nib in ink. [:I]

Cheers, and thanks again,
Draken

PS Thanks for the emailed link DCBluesman, good info you have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom