Fountain pen with stylus tip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Had an extra back end to this style of fountain pen lying around and realized that it would make a good home for a stylus tip.

I had a customer ask for something like this at the last show and now I'll have something to show them :biggrin:

Blank is a Brooks pink pearl.

Attachments

• IMG_1832_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1832_1 (Custom).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1833_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1833_1 (Custom).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1834_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1834_1 (Custom).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1840_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1840_1 (Custom).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 127
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Yes it posts fine. I cut down the section short enough to put the stylus tip at roughly the same height as the original version. That also helped get down to the portion of the taper where the stylus was the best fit.

There is a touch of the stylus ring that is proud of the section just due to where it settled in the hole but otherwise it's a pretty close fit.

LagniappeRob

The black portion is metal? Or is there a tube that the stylus mounting is touching? Or have you tried it on a couple of devices? I'm just wondering if it'll be able to generate enough of a field to register well. I've thought about doing something similar (not a FP though), and wasn't sure if it would work well enough.

Carl Fisher

The section is plastic, but the stylus tip is capacitive so it works well on any material. It's the basic 7mm stylus kit just mounted into the rear section.

Thanks for the compliments all :)

LagniappeRob

The section is plastic, but the stylus tip is capacitive so it works well on any material.

The fact that it's a capacitive stylus is whey I was asking... It's going to rely on the change to the ES field on the screen which has a conductive coating. So insulators won't work well (ie gloves - in the labs we use resistive and acoustic wave touchscreen monitors because of this). I'm just wondering if the stylus tip itself is going to be conductive enough to be reliable without a metal (or metalized) tube attached. Have you tried it with holding the far end of the pen. I truly am curious, as I had a similar but a little different idea. If it works, I probably go ahead and try my idea out. I'll post if I do.

Carl Fisher

Well Robert, you came this [--] close to bursting my bubble :biggrin:

It didn't work and I admit I hadn't tested it yet, but it does now. I took the other section I had and reamed out just enough to slip a piece of 7mm tube inside the section. Now it works like a charm, but due to a CA glue instant grab, it's a bit shorter than I had intended.

Oh well, it's a replaceable portion of the pen so I'll work on making it right now that I know what has to be done.

Carl Fisher

Here's the fixed version. The stylus end ended up much shorter than I planned. The CA grabbed the brass before I could get it any further into the section. Next time I will just use a drop and put it in from the top instead.

But it works now which is what matters :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1890_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1890_1 (Custom).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1891_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1891_1 (Custom).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1892_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1892_1 (Custom).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom