Fountain Pen Nibs for - Caballero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had just purchased a bunch of Caballeros from Exotic blanks since they are on sale from the newly purchased Smitty's Pen Works.

The fountain pen conversion kit indicates that the nib is not a full #6 nib but is wider than standard. Does anyone have experience in replacing the nib with higher quality nib on these and if a standard 6mm Nib would work?

edstreet

The listing of "not a full #6 nib" is a gross misnomer and it denotes a lack of experience and / or education with fountain pens. The very first question anyone will ask is "if not not a full #6 then what the BEEP is it." It is like being pregnant, either you are or you are not.

Most fountain pen kits are not a #5 but rather a #5.5 size nib.

The next question that will likely be ask is specs so ....

#5 nibs:
length: 2.5cm
shoulder width: 7mm
base width: 5mm
fits a 5mm feed

#5.5 nibs:
length: 2.6cm
shoulder width: 7mm
base width: 5mm
fits a 5mm feed

#35 nibs (also known as #6):
length: 3.5cm
shoulder width: 9mm
base width: 6.3mm
fits a 6.3mm feed

#8 nibs: length: 2.7cm
shoulder width: 8mm
base width: 6mm
fits a 6.3mm feed

Anything outside of these specs would be highly proprietary and impossible to get outside a very specific supply chain and there would be no competition for replacement nibs.

The easiest way would be to put a stock #6 nib (any type will work for this experiment) and see what the outcome is.

Hope this helps.

TurtleTom

His Nibs

I had just purchased a bunch of Caballeros from Exotic blanks since they are on sale from the newly purchased Smitty's Pen Works.

The fountain pen conversion kit indicates that the nib is not a full #6 nib but is wider than standard. Does anyone have experience in replacing the nib with higher quality nib on these and if a standard 6mm Nib would work?

The most beautiful pen I've ever made was a Caballero Fountain Pen. The nib is so bad I don't even keep it inked. I need to take it to a Nib Master to tune.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

That description came from the manufacturer. If I were going to replace the nib, I'd try to find something where the whole 3 piece nib/feed/sleeve were replaced. If you like I would be happy to contact the manufacturer to see what the exact size is and whether or not the nib can be replaced by any higher end (Bock Jowo) nib.

Top Bottom