Fountain Pen Knowlwdge.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I visited several book stores today. searching for either fountain pen books or magazines. I came up with a big fat zero. I even went to Home office depot to search for fountain pen ink. I came up zero. I was two times at bat and struck out twice. [B)][:0]

NOW does any body have an idea what book-- will have the background the details of fountain pens so I can develop some knowledge on fountain pens. :)

I have also read several internet sites.

any ideas Bill Daniels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Not a direct answer to your question but if you ever get down to the LA area, you owe it to yourself to stop by the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia.

This pen shop has been in existance since the early 20's and still has a LOT of original goodies plus tons of books and magazines, old and new. While in the area around Christmas, I visited the shop several times and just couldn't get enough of the place. If you want to learn anything about fountain pens, just ask Fred Krinkle who has worked there since 1945!

Interesting reading... http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/03vint.htm

penmaker56

Bill,

One of the "bibles" for fountain pen collectors is "Fountain Pens of the World" by Andreas Lambrou. It mainly shows past and present pens from almost every manufacturer, but it does have some diagrams on feeds and filling systems. The two major magazines for pen collectors are 'Stylus' and 'Pen World' magazines. The magazines you should be able to find in a bookstore, but books on fountain pens are better found in pen stores.

For fountain pen ink, I usually recommend Pelikan,Visconti, or Aurora inks to the newbies that walk into the pen stores, the colors are limited but they flow well and do not clog the feed and nib, plus they do not bleed out on some papers. Do not use india inks in a fountain pen, they will ruin the pen and it will have to be professionally cleaned.

If you do not have any fine pen stores in your area, try Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC or Bertram's Inkwell or Fahrney's in the DC area.

I hope this helps.

Richard Greenwald

Firefyter-emt

Bill, if you want to try some ink before you buy, please vist James at Pear Tree Pens and take advantage of his "sample program" where you get 4 samples mailed for $4.00 and they will be enough to fill our pen's at least once.

http://shop.peartreepens.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=77

My favorites are Visconti, Diamine, and Noodlers.

However, I just got a sample bottle of the "FPN" Noodlers Galileo Manuscript Brown and I think I am in love! [:I]

Top Bottom