Fountain pen in green cellulose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

In sorting through the piles of vintage cellulose acetate tube stock I have, I came across this nice green chunk tube (which I probably bought from someone on here at one time) and thought it would be fun to use. I paired it with a black acrylic and fabricated silver trim. I constructed the pen like I would do with a wood pen, where I essentially build the entire barrel from acrylic, turn down a portion of the barrel to accept the tube of wood (or in this case, acetate), and epoxy the whole thing together and thread on the finial. Is it overkill? Probably, but I'm ok with it.
I engraved the clip with a kinda leafy, floral motif. The nib is a jowo 6.
9726D902-CA08-4EFE-816B-A21C5BE424A4.jpeg
AD70B2AB-0D3D-4FBC-B52C-1DF70DBE3454.jpeg
3A11CD9B-BB45-4EBD-BA03-C84A54070953.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Sublime, as always John! I think your custom pens are some of my absolute favorite! They really remind me of some of the classic pen manufacturers....Conway, Parker, etc.

I've been researching classic pen manufacturers and their pen designs for a while, trying to get ideas for my own. There were some amazing pens from these companies, going back a hundred years or more. I am particularly fond of the chased pens...I'd say that's what you hand-engraving reminds me the most of. Parker had a number of just amazing pen chasing patterns that just set their pens apart. That goes back over 100 years.

jalbert

Sublime, as always John! I think your custom pens are some of my absolute favorite! They really remind me of some of the classic pen manufacturers....Conway, Parker, etc.

I've been researching classic pen manufacturers and their pen designs for a while, trying to get ideas for my own. There were some amazing pens from these companies, going back a hundred years or more. I am particularly fond of the chased pens...I'd say that's what you hand-engraving reminds me the most of. Parker had a number of just amazing pen chasing patterns that just set their pens apart. That goes back over 100 years.
Thanks, Jon. I have a lot of respect for the vintage designs and the various chasing and other methods of ornamentation that manufacturers employed. I feel like in the age of flashy materials, a lot of that charm gets lost.

jrista

Thanks, Jon. I have a lot of respect for the vintage designs and the various chasing and other methods of ornamentation that manufacturers employed. I feel like in the age of flashy materials, a lot of that charm gets lost.
Aye! There is so much characteristic and charm in a properly chased, classic old pen!

Top Bottom