Fountain Pen from a Chair *Triton*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Had a customer bring me an old broken chair. Said it came from his wife's Grandmother's dining room. Wanted to know what I could make with it. So far, a money clip (another thread in "Other Things"), a frame, and this Triton fountain. I thought the wood was pine, but it is kinda hard and not gummy. This is my first time using a torch to get the grain to stand out. Comments and critiques welcome.
C0E5920F-747B-4ADD-B2B3-BF094CA0B681.jpeg

09969C72-35D3-4302-BD1F-72CB734FEB50.jpeg

Attachments

• 55B2B859-7C4F-4DAB-8FFE-E197B1A6D6B3.jpeg
    55B2B859-7C4F-4DAB-8FFE-E197B1A6D6B3.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 98
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@hewunch
I might try the flame technique on some rather ordinary blanks I have.

Is there any thread about the flame technique that I could read ?

Or any suggestions you could offer about the technique ? . . . most suitable woods ? . . . precautions to take ? . . . best way to "wave" the flame ?

hewunch

@hewunch
I might try the flame technique on some rather ordinary blanks I have.

Is there any thread about the flame technique that I could read ?

Or any suggestions you could offer about the technique ? . . . most suitable woods ? . . . precautions to take ? . . . best way to "wave" the flame ?
so I remember years ago (I haven't made many pens in the past 6 years) people were doing this. I don't remember the exact process they used, but here is what I did:
1. turned a piece round and sanded to 220.
2. used torch while blank was on the lathe and that allows me to turn the blank like a spit.
3. adjust distance to blank by how quickly blank chars.
4. Sand to 400 and finish.
Notes: the part of the blank that is closest to the lathe bed will get more char if you it it with the flame from the side (like where the tool rest is). I got a better result hitting it from a downward angle. YMMV.
If you overcook it, sanding can knock the color back.
Not sure on best woods. This was my first time. You could always try it on a thick blank and turn off if you don't like it.

jttheclockman

I remember using the flame technique on some furniture projects I made such as I would take old wire cable reels from the job sites and made tables from them. Basically outdoor tables but can be used indoors. They come in many sizes so use the real large ones for the tables and smaller ones for seats. I still have one which I made a chess table out of it. Another one of those projects I found while moving things around in the basement this past summer. I need to shoot a photo of it. But I would burn the wood with a torch to give it that look. Back many years ago that was a very popular technique.

magpens

@hewunch

Thanks for your tips including the following :

"You could always try it on a thick blank and turn off if you don't like it."

Good point !

sorcerertd

That torch really did bring the grain out nicely. I tried this once on a magic wand made from a piece of plain oak. It was done with a propane torch and I recall it was really easy to overdo it. The softer growth rings darkened up really fast for me. For whatever reason, older wood seems to have tighter grain, which I'd guess would give more consistent results.

jrista

Wow, that torching technique really does make the wood look unique. The wood is beautiful. Was it lighter in color before torching, or is this the original color?

Regarding the pen kit...it looks like the gold band in the cap that is standard with Triton kits is missing. Did you exclude that on purpose? It looks really good with just the chrome band, but at first I was wondering what kit it was, since the gold band was missing.

hewunch

Wow, that torching technique really does make the wood look unique. The wood is beautiful. Was it lighter in color before torching, or is this the original color?

Regarding the pen kit...it looks like the gold band in the cap that is standard with Triton kits is missing. Did you exclude that on purpose? It looks really good with just the chrome band, but at first I was wondering what kit it was, since the gold band was missing.
thank you, the clip below is natural. Yes, I did leave the gold and chrome bands off on purpose. That is the way the customer wanted it.
3558FDF8-7146-4DC4-9C33-F17EDACD9727.jpeg

Top Bottom