Fountain Pen Book suggestion?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

I got a $25 Amazon gift card and was thinking of getting a book on fountain pens with an emphasis on history, function?, collecting, styles/types....

Is there a "fountain pen bible" of sorts that I need to be looking for? What is your favorite? There's seems to be a lot out there. I would mostly like a combo of different types of fountain pens/history and what to look for if I were to start collecting. I may end up with more than one book - I usually do when I look for just one!

Thanks for the input.

P.S. Anyone going to the L.A. Pen Show this year?? (will likely start a new thread for that question)

Martin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Da Book is really only good for repairing vintage pens. If you can get your hands on Paul's book it is probably your best all around book with good history and some of the best photos. You might try contacting Paul direct on his web site to see if he has any left. Most of the books are quite expensive and his book is a bargin even at $54. One of the books that we have been trying to get was over $400 and was specific to Pelikan.

OKLAHOMAN

Martin, take Mike's advise and go to his site and you can pick one up for $25 plus $5 shipping and he'll even sign it. I know you wanted to use you gigt cert from amazon but @ $30 you'll still have you Cert. and have the book.:
Paul's Books

MartinPens

I'm not sure how they can go for so much on Amazon when he sells them for $30 on his sight. ??? It certainly looks like he has them available. I ordered one and sent him an email.

Jgrden

I got a $25 Amazon gift card and was thinking of getting a book on fountain pens with an emphasis on history, function?, collecting, styles/types....

Is there a "fountain pen bible" of sorts that I need to be looking for? What is your favorite? There's seems to be a lot out there. I would mostly like a combo of different types of fountain pens/history and what to look for if I were to start collecting. I may end up with more than one book - I usually do when I look for just one!

Thanks for the input.

P.S. Anyone going to the L.A. Pen Show this year?? (will likely start a new thread for that question)

Martin

Let's go, who's driving??

John

MartinPens

I'm not sure how they can go for so much on Amazon when he sells them for $30 on his sight. ??? It certainly looks like he has them available. I ordered one and sent him an email.

The answer to this is that his book is sold out and no longer in print. He has not removed the link from his site. I purchased it via Paypal from his site and he sent me a full refund. I emailed him and suggested he remove the link. I will look and see what kind of prices I can find and if I want to she'll out the money.
Thanks for the tips everyone.

MartinPens

Thanks Steve!
I also got a PM from Penultimate and link to Alibris.com which had great prices.
I have ordered a couple different fountain pen books and appreciate the advice and help. Thanks

Regards

Martin

chrisk

Along with Amazon.com (in this case too expensive), Abebooks.com and Alibris.com are websites to visit. I got mine from a US vendor through Abebooks.com.

76winger

I just saw this thread today and when to Amazon to check out the offerings and found one used-very good condition for 17.95.

Don't bother going to look for it though, it's on way to my address :biggrin: and the next one up is $48. I looked at the book some time back but decided to hold off on purchasing until I had the funds. Since it's out of print now it seemed like I better pick it while the opportunity was there.

But I didn't post this to brag about nabbing it, I wanted to point out to everyone to keep looking, the used ones will come and go so if you'd like it, just keep checking back regularly (and other places).

onewaywood

Martin I just checked out that book from my local Library,after a week or so you could say you lost it and pay face value,now me I would never do that..dam that hurts just kidding it is a great book and yes lots of photos.I did run across an add in Pen World a few months ago it talked about a asian book that coming out but it was $ 300.00 if I had the money I would buy that one in a heart beat.

SteveG

How do the editions differ?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This deluxe second edition has been expanded and reformatted to be almost one third larger than the first edition, a book that is already regarded as one of the most authoritative and entertaining books on the subject of pen collecting. Outlining eight major manufacturers and their classic model pens, the book is colorfully illustrated with photos and advertisements. You will find current collector values; new photographs including hundreds of additional vintage and contemporary writing instruments; new tips on buying, selling, and trading; and a new 'Collectibility Status Chart' identifying over 100 brands and models of fountain pens and their relative values. In addition, there are new sections on individual artisans and their unique creations and a revised section on contemporary manufacturers, double the size of the first edition. Discussions are included on building your collections, storage and display, refurbishing and repair, paper and inks, and valuing your pens. 2004 values.[/FONT]

Top Bottom