Found wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SloLouie

SloLouie

Kind of dovetailing off Stevetaylor's post on "Cutting blanks from rough stock", I'd like to see what others have found either for free or very little money. I'm always excited with a nice find.
Here are a couple to start off with.
JapaneseMapleburl.jpg

Barntimber.jpg

The first one is an old Japanese Maple that the city took down near where I live. I asked if I could have it, not only was the answer yes, but they cut it into easy sizes for handling. I think I'll need to stabilize some of the rounds.
The second is left over from a business remodel. the beams came out of a 100+ year old barn in WI. They are 8"x8", I was told pine, if it is,it looks very different from what I've seen here in Ca. Again, they were to be thrown out, I did tell the owner if it worked out I'd turn a bowl for him.
The beams will be bowls, I'm trying to figure the best way to incorporate the mortises.
The burl is also destined become bowls, maybe some pen stock if it looks good.
Anyone else care to share?"
Cheers,
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

No pictures, but most of my wood comes from tree trimmers in Golden Gate Park. Now that they know me they call me when they are taking down a nice tree to ask if I want them to save me some. My car is now trained to stop at all tree trimming vehicles or workers. Didn't take long for it to know to pull over.
The burls looks real nice, would even make nice tiny bowls.

Last edited:

monark88

I also do not have pics, but I have been carrying around a 6' 6" x 6" rafter section from an old barn, built in about 1850. In 1954, My dad tore down the old barn because my mom thought it "unsightly". He burned all timbers: walnut, cherry, and some oak. The barn was 40' x 60' and had a ton of timbers.

I grabbed the short section of the walnut and have kept it since. Its recently been cut up awaiting some pens and pepper mills.

Bob Wemm

Thought I would post a piece that I found at the rubbish dump.:) First one is a section of Casuarina triple crotch and the bowl I made from it. Pic No.3 is a tree root that we picked up alongside the railway line in a tiny Country town (100) pop. we used to live in. We have been carrying this around for years and I initially thought that I would clean up the Legs? and make it into a glass top table, but since I have been turning I am having other thoughts about its use.:confused:.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Bob.

Attachments

• My Treasures 208.jpg
    My Treasures 208.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 210
  • My treasures 232.jpg
    My treasures 232.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 167
  • My Treasures 058.jpg
    My Treasures 058.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 165

Froggy

Here are a couple pics of a Chinese Elm burl an arborist friend of mine gave me:
ChineseElmburl004.jpg

ChineseElmburl001.jpg

I also aquired a nice cherry burl from a jobsite I was working at. (Sorry, no pics.)

Chris

Top Bottom