Found Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RetiredJake

I had an old coffee table I bought along the Oregon coast, at least 25 years ago. Had not used it in years, so I tried to sell it in a yard sale. Best offer I got was $25. I said I'd cut it up just to see what it looked like before letting it go for that. Well, I finally got around to cutting it up the other day, sure am glad I did. This is/was a slab of Oregon Myrtle. I don't know if it is burl, or just figured wood, but it sure is pretty.

The first picture is of the whole table top after slicing it into 7/8" strips. Next is a piece showing what I found inside. A pen I made from a solid piece, but I got some discoloration from the bushings during sanding, probably redo or trash this one. Final one is a dozen worthless wood (credits to Curtis) blanks I cast from a couple of the edge pieces, one full strip, and a couple dozen blanks I cut out.

All in all, I thinks it's pretty wood that almost got away.

C&C's always welcome
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_3218_resized.JPG
    IMG_3218_resized.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3220_resized.JPG
    IMG_3220_resized.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3242_resized.JPG
    IMG_3242_resized.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3255_resized.JPG
    IMG_3255_resized.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Nice find. You never know where you'll find the next treasure or idea. Sometimes I drive my wife nuts looking for something new or different. Earlier this year we replaced our kitchen sink which was a granite/epoxy type of material about 1/2 inch thich. My thought was to use it as an inlay so I could say I made a pen out of the kitchen sink but all that happened was I got a new bandsaw blade. Thanks for sharing can't wait to see some finished pens.

plantman

I had an old coffee table I bought along the Oregon coast, at least 25 years ago. Had not used it in years, so I tried to sell it in a yard sale. Best offer I got was $25. I said I'd cut it up just to see what it looked like before letting it go for that. Well, I finally got around to cutting it up the other day, sure am glad I did. This is/was a slab of Oregon Myrtle. I don't know if it is burl, or just figured wood, but it sure is pretty.

The first picture is of the whole table top after slicing it into 7/8" strips. Next is a piece showing what I found inside. A pen I made from a solid piece, but I got some discoloration from the bushings during sanding, probably redo or trash this one. Final one is a dozen worthless wood (credits to Curtis) blanks I cast from a couple of the edge pieces, one full strip, and a couple dozen blanks I cut out.

All in all, I thinks it's pretty wood that almost got away.

C&C's always welcome
Jake

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Jake nice find. Next time you turn your pens and before you sand, use a tac rag to clean up your blank and then apply a thin coat of CA to it. This will seal it and keep any metal from contaminating your blank. Also if you have more than one color it will keep them from bleeding together. Jim S

Last edited:

RetiredJake

Next time you turn your pens and before you sand, use a tac rag to clean up your blank and then apply a thin coat of CA to it. This will seal it and keep any metal from contaminating your blank. Also if you have more than one color it will keep them from bleeding together. Jim S

Yea, I usually do that. Got in a hurry to see what this looked like with some finish on it and just got carried away. Curbing my enthusiasm is one of my biggest problems.

Jake

Top Bottom