Found in my Woodpile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Longfellow

Anybody identify this. About 16" long. I live just south of Orlando, Fla. It was dead when I found It. It has bite marks two places on it's body

Attachments

• IMG_3205 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3205 (Small).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3206 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3206 (Small).JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kmla

Not quite sure, but it kinda looks like my friend's divorce lawyer...

cnirenberg

It looks like a baby black racer. I am a proud daddy of a ungrateful little bast#$%^ of a racer. My youngest daughter brought home an egg and we incubated it it in the garage. When it hatched, it was in a poor mood to say the least. We were told that as it matures it will turn color.

Oops saw that this was 16". Could be a red rat snake. At least its dead. Probably had the same bad attitude as the racer.

Last edited:

JerrySambrook

I'm thinking, you can gut it without splitting the skin, then you can do some seamless snakeskin blanks on sierras, etc.
Gut it by cutting off the head, and then slowly peal the skin backover itself without cutting up the center. Once started, then you can just roll the skin off so it is inside out at the end.
Dry for a little like this, then re-invert, so the scales are outside again, and finish drying

Kinda like skinning a rabbit to keep the skin for gloves, footwarmers, (survivalist style)

Jerry

mickr

I'm at a loss as to why a dead snake is on a pen site? And why you are asking us to identify it..why not go to a snake site and ask there?

Jim Smith

I say it is a corn snake as well. There are a number of color variations for corn snakes depending on the region of the country they are found in.

Jim Smith

alamocdc

I'm at a loss as to why a dead snake is on a pen site? And why you are asking us to identify it..why not go to a snake site and ask there?

This site has always operated as more of a family than a typical forum. And many of us have met and know others first hand. As such, this sort of information is asked and shared here regularly. And it would be a shame if that were not allowed to continue.:wink:

bracky1

Em, because this is the "casual conversation" part of the site, where anything goes :)

Chill :wink:

ironman

Mikr why is your post not on a lame person site and why are you complaining

Jeez mikr dont be so lame just don't read it and go on already

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
As long as we aren't discussing the snake's political or religious affiliation, this is a perfectly appropriate question for our site and the Casual Conversation forum, for reasons pointed out already. I'm sure most members automatically append "... and how can I make a pen out of it." to almost any off the wall question here.

Please don't attack each other.

kirkfranks

Well since nobody else has suggested the obvious...
Since you found it in the wood pile it must be snake wood........

Be careful turning it, I hear they crack real bad.:biggrin:

Top Bottom