Found a few treasures while cleaning /organizing the garage today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

With all this time on my hands these days i decided to do the unheard of and clean and organize the 3 car garage . I re-discovered all sorts of things I had put aside.

I found all sorts of wood pen blanks stopper material along with plenty of bowl blanks I had prepped from some mesquite, english walnut, arizona ash and sycamore trees removed on the campus I work at. Most have been around for 10 plus years.

I did find some rare bois de rose 1-5/8 sq. by 13 inch long turning stock along with some similar size african blackwood. I remeber picking this up in a lot of turning blanks over 10 years ago. It's great stuff but I have no plans to turn anything from it. I am torn between hanging on to it or trying to sell it. I just have way too much turning stock for some reason *G* I also have issues with exotics as far as allergies.

The bois de rose is hard to find and the prices are ridiculous. Also being a CITES timber it can only be shipped within the US. I have seen similar sizes on ebay and etsy that are listed in the $60 range. Hard for me to imagine that kind of cash for a piece of turning stock.

I'll have to give this some thought and perhaps try posting a few pieces here or on etsy.

I still have so much more to work on in my garage. I am just attacking it in spots since it is a bit overwhelming *G*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

The only time a car was in our three car garage was when we moved in to the new build hauling stuff here.

My project is continuing and I was organizing my pen blanks. My goodness I have a lot of pen blanks . A bunch of wood ones from salvaged wood like mesquite, Arizona rosewood from a dead specimen , Mimbres walnut ( species in NM ), juniper root burl and some curly oak that came from a pallet.

Hopefully I can get caught up enough to actuall start to make some pens and bowls.

howsitwork

Never let your other half see you doing this, it breaks the bond of brotherhood between men and could give her ideas ! !!

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska! Interesting that you came across the bois de rose. I helped my son make a pen from bois de rose this morning (Sunday). It sure is a handsome wood. - Dave (egnald)

Top Bottom