Found a drill press...help pls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

QsPens

Hey everyone,

So I found a drill press on the side of the road, it functions but could use some help on how to fully restored it.

The press does not fully return to the up position, but it's grimy and needs to be lubricated, also I think I need to adjust the spring, also needs a new v-belt, they had it installed the wrong way. [emoji51]

If anyone has advice on this thing it would be much appreciated.
IMG_0850.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You are not giving us much to work with. More photos or a model number would help. It may have a stop depth guide somewhere that is engaged or locked. If you could pry the chuck down it would probably need a cleaning.

jttheclockman

It is an oldie But being a Delta it still has life. The threaded rod on the right is you depth setting gauge. The lever on the left locks the quill. What else do you need to know. You had it all the way up in one of the photos. The other photo shows its depth allowed because of where the nut is screwed down to. Turn that nut upward and your depth will increase. The chuck looks like it has a bearing on top that has a setscrew that holds it in place. Loosen that and that chuck should come free. If it has a slot in that shaft then it is a morse taper chuck. You need a wedge to push in there and it will free that chuck and fall right out. To replace make sure the shaft is really clean and then just press back up in that shaft and seat it by pulling the quill down with the handle and the chuck hits the table and pushes it back up .May take some persuasion. Little Blaster and some grease and it is good to go. I would check the chord for slices or cuts and or fraying.

Last edited:

QsPens

Thanks, cord looks good. I figured I just need to clean it up and give it some TLC. In the photo with it all the way down it does not go up on its own. But I'm pretty sure some grease would help that. I think I just needed some confirmation that it was worth working on. Thanks for the advice

jttheclockman

Thanks, cord looks good. I figured I just need to clean it up and give it some TLC. In the photo with it all the way down it does not go up on its own. But I'm pretty sure some grease would help that. I think I just needed some confirmation that it was worth working on. Thanks for the advice

Oh it is definitely worth bringing back to use. That will outlive you. There is a return spring on the opposite side of the handle. Maybe some lube in there or a replacement. Some of the newer ones you can adjust that spring and not sure with the one you have because you do not show that side.

If you want you can buy a link belt and fit to any size needed. They work great.https://www.rockler.com/1-2-power-twist-plus-link-v-bel

Last edited:

Curly

Nice little score. Belt is easy to deal with. If it is the right length takeout to an auto parts store and they can match the size and length. If it is hooped measure between the motor and quill shaft with the motor set in the middle of the adjustment and double it and add the circumference of the middle pulley. That will get you the length of the belt.

The return spring John mentioned may be broken. If an original can't be found a similar spring from another drill press can be fit or one could be made if you can locate someone that does that kind of work.

magpens

Made in CANADA, EH ? .... strange that you found it on the side of the road in California !!! o_O

greenacres2

Made in CANADA, EH ? .... strange that you found it on the side of the road in California !!! o_O

Poor little fella was probably just trying to get back home!!

Seriously--great score. Did General ever make any machinery for Delta? It has the look of quality, definitely worth digging into!!
earl

Top Bottom