Fordite pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JUICEDSS

JUICEDSS

I was able to get a piece of Fordite from this forum and give it a shot. That was a learning experience!! Before turning, I sanded the corners off the blank to keep it from catching. I first tried a fresh negative rake carbon cutter with patience and a light touch. I heard that terrible noise and shut off the lathe to see what was left. It knocked off a few layers but not down to the bushings so it was salvageable. I tried again as light as possible and it happened again. Still not down to the bushings. I then went to pure sandpaper the rest of the way. It took a while but I made it without destroying it. (Not the greatest pictures, but you get the point)

IMG_2799.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's a very attractive pen. Your patience (and luck) paid off. Your description of your experiences is interesting.

jttheclockman

Never seen that pen kit. What is it and where did you get it?? What is your opinion of the kit?? By the way nice job on the blank as well. Good match.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sometimes, it takes a little ingenuity to get the outcome we want. It was well worth it! And your patience shows. Too often, some people want the quick outcome without the damage that quickness brings. And then they blame others, or the blank.

Well done!

Top Bottom