For Those Who Want To Try A Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larryreitz

Larryreitz

Let's face it fountain pens are generally expensive and not for everyone. Some time ago Ed Brown suggested offering a fountain pen that would not break the bank for those wanting to try one out to see if they liked it and would use it on a regular basis. The Manager is an inexpensive kit that may fill that need. Pictured are 5 that I will display when the A&C shows reopen (hopefully) in late summer or fall. They are (L to R) stabilized spalted maple, Spectraply, ornamental yew, paduk, and stabilized flame box elder. I'll likely ask $35 to $40. All C&C appreciated.

Larry

_MG_9390.jpg_MG_9391.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The concept is to allow "newbies" to buy a very inexpensive fountain pen. The customer can then find out if they plan to do the maintenance that fountain pens require. If not, they have not lost a lot, if so, you see them at the show the next year and upgrade to a better pen.

When we stopped doing shows, the tide had turned and people were asking about "those old-time pens". This was my proposal to satisfy that need.

FWIW,
Ed

I recommend everyone try at least one fountain pen. It was the first type of pen, after all. I'm partial to the Magnetic Vertex. It only has one body, so easier to turn. And the magnetic cap is just plain cool!

I'm with Jim on the pen type. I've made two of the Magnetic Vertex and agree with what he's written. I wouldn't tell you how to price but I think a bit of a nudge up in price would be better. My concern is that if you sell them too cheaply your customers will expect to get the same price structure in the future, nicer pen or not. It could come back to bite you later and you could lose business. But...just my thoughts.

Larryreitz

I'm with Jim on the pen type. I've made two of the Magnetic Vertex and agree with what he's written. I wouldn't tell you how to price but I think a bit of a nudge up in price would be better. My concern is that if you sell them too cheaply your customers will expect to get the same price structure in the future, nicer pen or not. It could come back to bite you later and you could lose business. But...just my thoughts.

I sure appreciate your thinking on price, it's something we all struggle with. Given the pandemic we are in I have a lot of time to think about pricing before the rubber meets the road. Perhaps $40 would be a better starting point, but I'm sure if I implemented Mark's suggestion of $75, I would just carry them from show to show in this neck of the woods.

David350

Hi Larry, I'd bet you have no problem selling them for $60 plus, but of course you know your market and customers better than I. Those are really nice and I'm going to have to make some myself. I hope they turn out as nice as yours...

Top Bottom