For those suffering from arthritis .....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

My sister has suffered from arthritis in her hands for several years. I made 2 pens recently, a Slimline and "fat" Sierra - I thought she would like a choice in colors. After handling and testing both she picked the Sierra. I was a little surprised, I thought the Slimline was more elegant & the Sierra a little more 'manly' so I asked her why.
She chose based on the FAT PROFILE because it was more comfortable to hold in her arthritic hand, didn't have to grip it so hard as you would a Slimline.
So just sharing, you might be able to provide a little more comfort for folks suffering from arthritis.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Glad you found something that works for your sister!

You can always beef up a slim line...I usually leave the clip off so the design can flow. Also, there are many variations on the slim such as one piece designs where you can go larger. Don Ward "It's Virgil" has a book on slim modifications.
You can even use the center band as a "core" and turn a "ring" to fit over it for a custom center band which will be a more fitting diameter for a larger pen.

F1E239FA-934A-45F8-9CF0-42976E9CC06C.jpeg

GREAT thread!!! I've seen the book but never made the correlation between Don Ward and "it's Virgil". I checked on Amazon and the have it so it will be purchased tonight. Thanks for sharing.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have had similar experiences with folks with arthritis. Some have chosen pens with a profile that is more suited to their ability to grip comfortable. But, as with the OP, a choice is very helpful, as some like a slimmer profile, and others like a larger OD. Very nice to have choices!

Awesome recommendation Charlie - Don's book is an incredible resource and I love to review it often. đź‘Ť

Penultimate

Greetings
I am getting arthritis in my index fingers, I think it is too many years of mousing. Fountain pens are a great way to lessen pain when holding a pen. The pen is held lightly and the ink flows from the nib without applying pressure like a roller ball. If you make kitless fb's you can make sections to fit your preferred grip.

Mark - I sell quite a few pens and I've noticed that folk who identify themselves as arthritic will often chose a pen with some form of "soft grip" near the nib. Some like larger, some like smaller but the grip is the key. A couple that fit that description are the Spartan and Comfort from PSI. I was surprised at the Spartan as it's pretty big (and not especially ergonomically designed) but have sold a couple to arthritics.

MTViper

This same idea bleeds over into other things we turn. I've made several seam rippers from larger stock so they are more comfortable to hold for older quilters. Based on my wife's recommendation (?) I also put one flat side on them so they don't roll off the table.

This same idea bleeds over into other things we turn. I've made several seam rippers from larger stock so they are more comfortable to hold for older quilters. Based on my wife's recommendation (?) I also put one flat side on them so they don't roll off the table.

I make a lot of seam rippers and I never thought about putting a flat spot on them so the don't roll. Great idea and thanks for sharing! I do sell a lot of comfort pens and I'm assuming it due to arthritis or some kind of joint disease. I've sold quite a few, comfort pens, to people with MS.

Top Bottom