For those of you who make your own Delrin bushings.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

do you use a simple 1/4 inch drill bit (assuming they are being made to fit on a standard A mandrel)? A 6.3 mm bit would be a better fit, but I'm not enthused about spending $45 for one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

FGarbrecht

I live in upstate NY and finding anything out of the ordinary locally is a royal PITB. Thanks for the links.

1shootist

do you use a simple 1/4 inch drill bit (assuming they are being made to fit on a standard A mandrel)? A 6.3 mm bit would be a better fit, but I'm not enthused about spending $45 for one.
I've made several different sets for myself and friends and have drilled all at 1/4 with no issues.

Reactions: DrD

magpens

A "D-size" drill bit is 0.246" diameter. . I think that is the same size as the usual A-size pen turning mandrel.

TonyL

Many excellent sources for bits (here's another one https://www.fairburyfastener.com/). If are using Delrin for non-stick CA bushings that is one thing, if you are using for TBC or mandrel bushings, Corian in more durable. (even PVC is more durable than Delrin). I have both Corian and PVC if you want to try them. PM your address and I will send.
Have said all of the above, many use Delrin just fine from what i understand. I am just offering some alternatives. In fact, I think I have some extra Delrin if you want.

penicillin

Could someone be very specific about which Delrin they are using, how they make bushings, and how they use them? Pretend that I know nothing and want to go out and buy some Delrin from my local plastics shop. You won't have to pretend. :)

Can I assume that you buy Delrin rods (dowels), drill them through the center with a D drill or equivalent, square them and cut them off with a miter saw or a parting tool on the lathe? If not, what am I missing about the way that you make them? Are there any tricks I should know about drilling them, other than avoiding heat?

Do you place them flat against the blank when it is ready for sanding and finishing? If not, do you turn a shape on them first? How and when do you use them?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom