For Those of Us Who Think We Can Do Precision Hand Held Work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really enjoyed the video Bill.
I knew just enough to realize that I knew very little. But, I appreciated it nonetheless. As a wood lathe user with intermediate skills, I do admire the metal lathe/machinists amoungst us here.

sbwertz

I have a beautiful 1949 South Bend model 9A metal lathe. I just wish I knew how to really use it. I inherited it from my grandfather when none of the other grandkids wanted it. I have used it, minimally, for a few things, and I have tons of accessories that came with it. I just got into woodturning and never pursued becoming adept at the metal lathe.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Pretty interesting. We have a rod heater we use to press fit rods onto pistons. It gets about 200 degrees in under 30 seconds. Also, on race engines we build, everything is checked for tolerances. The tighter the clearance on the bearings, the more oil pressure you'll have.

Woodchipper

Sharon, it would be worthwhile to learn to use the metal lathe. Just think of the metal things you could make to complement pens.
bmachin, worked in QC and went down to 1/10,000 tolerances.
My father was an ME. He told of some American engineers who made a drill bit the size of a human hair. They sent it some Swiss engineers. The Swiss engineers sent it back with a hole drilled in it.

penicillin

Related YouTube video showing precision machined parts being assembled and disassembled:

Top Bottom