For Mustard Color Lathe Owners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

This a picture of a persons lathe on another site .
Thought some of you might have a chuckle (or nightmare) seeing this one.
Yes I did get permission from the owner to post his picture

Beatuplathe.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Good grief... I hope my mustard mistress never sees that!:eek:

I'm gonna go out and rub the old girl with a soft cloth and some paste wax right now.

W.Y.

Good grief... I hope my mustard mistress never sees that!:eek:

I'm gonna go out and rub the old girl with a soft cloth and some paste wax right now.

Hee . . Hee. :biggrin: Don't show your mustard mistress that picture and keep telling her she's a good girl. :biggrin:

Yes , I thought that would strike a nerve with some people who have one of those lathes. . .

I wonder how hard a hit it took to dent that corner in like that . I thought the housing on those lathes would be more substantial than that .

Out of curiosity I went out and checked what the housing is like on mine . It measures a full 3/8" thick and I expect is steel or cast iron . Hard to tell by the paint on it but I know it is terribly heavy and was a real gut stretcher to mount it on the bed. I had to get a neighbor to help me with that.

Gary Max

I must be missing something------I bet he built a table for it. ---I have seen lots of lathes that have disk sanders built into the back of the head ???????????

Oh -----the dent-----it would take a fork lift to do that.

ldb2000

I do believe that headstock is cast iron . You couldn't put a dent in it if you tried , it would crack first . From the placement I would say it was made that way to give better access , to the bottom of something mounted to the spindle , for the turning tools (it's just about the centerline of the spindle) .

W.Y.

I do believe that headstock is cast iron . You couldn't put a dent in it if you tried , it would crack first . From the placement I would say it was made that way to give better access , to the bottom of something mounted to the spindle , for the turning tools (it's just about the centerline of the spindle) .

You are exactly right . A person on my site alerted me to that very shortly after I posted it there. That particular model does have what appears to be a dent but it is intentional in the manufacturing .
I thought (as well as many others) that it was comical the way some lathes are so well used which can make them look abused but probably are not. On the other hand, some of us baby our lathes cosmetically while still giving them hard use . I for one am guilty of that. I generally cover the ways and the banjo with a heavy cloth or protect it with a piece of wood when gluing or finishing on the lathe (depending on how close the DC hose is) and I feel bad if I forget and get CA glue or finish on those parts .
Main thing is we have fun and that's what it's all about.
I am out of the shop for a week now. Table saw accident late this afternoon. Was lucky. Only 13 stiches and no body parts missing. :biggrin:

jaeger

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and I will look forward to your recovery. Get well soon!

phillywood

william there is no way you can put a dent on that sucker. I agree with Butch that's access to something on the spindle. Oh, well he pulled a good one on you,huh?:biggrin:

W.Y.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and I will look forward to your recovery. Get well soon!

Thanks for your nice comment and I will be back in the shop before or after the nine days I was told to make an appointment to have the stiches removed.
Maybe I will have time now to catch up on making a couple e-commerce sites that I started months ago and was putting off due to lack of computer time . I type with two index fingers and they are both still in great shape . . lol . .

Ya , . . I am probably going to hear all the lectures now about safety and guards and all that stuff :wink: But how many of us actually do use the guards on the saw all the time . . Accidents do and will happen no matter how careful we are.

Anyone superstitious here about the number 13 ?

I was cutting a piece exactly 13" wide by about 30" long.
I got 13 stitches to close everything up.
Go figure.

Some parts that were not as deep were pulled together with that magic tape they use on some cuts.

It could have been a lot worse.
I shall surive with only a few ruffled feathers and put it down to experinece so it won't as easily happen again .

StichedFinger.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom