For Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Question for Jeff. Something that has bothered me on this new platform that was not the case with old site. There are times when the Birthday list is posted and all you see is the alphabet soup. Today's Birthday--- A B C C C D G T. 🎂 To me this is so cold and informal and was not the way the other site was setup. I know if you hoover over the letter the name comes up but is there a way to make this less informal and list names or something. Maybe we need to request more avatars for anyone that joins. The same thing shows up when a poster posts in a thread but at least their name is under there designated letter. Now if you have an avatar then your avatar shows up when it is your birthday, I get that. Many of the oldies around here have photos or some sort of Avatar that we recognize mainly because they have been here awhile or post alot. Not sure what else can be done to add some character to this list. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

202 views later and I guess no one else cared so let me say thanks Jeff for accommodating me. I can sleep better at nights. ;)

TonyL

I read it twice and didn't understand the question.... Maybe the other 200 didn't understand either, or were content with the current way bdays are announced.

I have the IAP bookmarked to New Posts. In the spirit of caring and trying to understand, I looked around the home page and saw this (below).
JT, do you mean that you would like to see avatars instead of the member names/handles? FWIW, I think I visited the home page less than ten times; I didn't know bdays were posted...other than someone making a Happy bday wish post.

Separate, but related subject, addressed to the admins. Moreover, I don't know if the IAP asks before publishing, but not every faith and culture celebrates bday.
1590895641994.png

jttheclockman

I read it twice and didn't understand the question.... Maybe the other 200 didn't understand either, or were content with the current way bdays are announced.

I have the IAP bookmarked to New Posts. In the spirit of caring and trying to understand, I looked around the home page and saw this (below).
JT, do you mean that you would like to see avatars instead of the member names/handles? FWIW, I think I visited the home page less than ten times; I didn't know bdays were posted...other than someone making a Happy bday wish post.

Separate, but related subject, addressed to the admins. Moreover, I don't know if the IAP asks before publishing, but not every faith and culture celebrates bday.
View attachment 239952
Tony this is the only way anyone knows who Birthday it is. The Home page is the only place where Birthdays are listed. If people do not have a Avatar weather a photo or some other design they put in their bio, they are given a Big Block letter and it is the first letter of their names. I am not sure how the colors are chosen but probably random. That is why you see these block letters on threads that are started and posted to by new members or members who just never chose an avatar. For us older members we pretty know who is who just by looking at their photo or avatar. But looking at Alphabet blocks is a crap shoot. You can have 5 of the same letter because their names all start with that letter. Now colors are different but who knows that. In the forums the name is at least under the block letter. But when Jeff had the list of birthdays for the day, many many many times all you saw was Block Letters like in kindergarten. Now if you hovered over the letter the name came up but we are all lazy and that is fact and include me in there. As I said it looked too sterile. There are other aspects of this new format that I do not like but as I said looks like most people this did not bother them so I was the only one who brought it up and I do not want to stir the pot or else we all know what happens.

Tony your screen shot is an after Jeff changed it to names. Your add-on with cultures is beyond my pay grade. I believe if you do not put a birthday or age in your bio when you join then you never get mentioned in Birthdays lists so that may answer your curiosity on that part but I can be wrong and will leave that to Jeff.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks for the explanation. I was not familiar with how bdays are reported/displayed. Thanks to you, I am now. Much appreciated.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the explanation. I was not familiar with how bdays are reported/displayed. Thanks to you, I am now. Much appreciated.
No problem Tony. Lots of Birthdays today. I wish them all a very Happy Birthday. 🎂 Alot going on in the world these days so taking time to enjoy a birthday can be a good thing.

Top Bottom