???? for Jeff the owner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Was looking through the segmenting forum and was searching through this thread.
https://www.penturners.org/threads/no-comments-just-post-new-segmented-pens-and-likes.111419/

I noticed alot of the photos are gone. Now I know about the PhotoBucket disaster but many photos of recent have a view in gallery under them and no photo within the thread. Now I know they were there not long ago and you were able to scan through that thread. Something went array. Is there a correction or is this the way we now have to view that thread?? Or is it just my computer. That has happened too. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Are you referring to posts like these?

Those, and others with a red X are hosted images which are no longer serving them. FB, ImageShack, Photobucket, etc. There are probably at least a dozen image hosting services used by our members over the years. There's nothing we can do about those in the past.

When you see filenames or links to a photos on our server, that means that for some reason, the file didn't come across when we migrated to the new forum. Lots of reasons for that, but usually it's because of corruption of the file. There are some that seem to be fine in the file archive I have, but that did not come across for unknown reasons.

Here's an example:

In the pre-migration archive, I have those photos and they seem to be intact. Here they are:

1_cherryMapleBlood_MA3.jpg1_cherryMapleBlood_MA4.jpg

So they are not lost, they are just buried in the archive. I was trying to restore them my hand, but that's a pretty large undertaking. If someone is willing to sift through the archive, I'm sure we could find a way to restore the photos.

If there is a particular handfull of photos that someone wants to see, I can retrieve them.

Today, we still allow hosted photos to be uploaded, but as soon as they're posted, we have a bot that downloads them and converts them to an attached image. So even if the hosted photo disappears, the photo remains in the post.

I know that our past photo archive isn't 100% intact. Through a couple of forum software migrations, server moves, and image hosting debacles, we've lost some.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing I could do... I could "clean up" that old thread by moving all the posts with photos intact to a new thread, then we can discard the posts with photo problems. That might take a little time as there are >500 posts in that thread, but I'd be willing to make the effort.

jttheclockman

Jeff like I said I get the photo bucket hosting thing because that turned out to be a disaster. But it looks like most problems were before we moved. Now I have not viewed this thread much before yesterday but I can not remember seeing so many photos that say "View in Gallery" If you look at page 8 it is weird in that it is moved to the right half of the thread. Anything as far as pages before 8 have all these view in gallery notes and no photos of pens. It never use to be like that. RolandRanches pens are basically all that way. Most of Marks are that way too before page 8 and 9. First couple pages seem to be fine. I have stopped using a hosting photo site because of Photobucket. If it is something that is too much work then we have to live with it and go from there. Because it looks like page 9 is all later work and after we moved and seems to be fine.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
John

The page 8 formatting problem was due to some old photo code in one of the posts, that problem is fixed now.

The "View in Gallery" was related to some old code that did image zooming as part of the old forum.

Short of going in there and fixing the posts with issues, it might be smart for me to just cull the good posts from that thread into a new thread.

jttheclockman

John

The page 8 formatting problem was due to some old photo code in one of the posts, that problem is fixed now.

The "View in Gallery" was related to some old code that did image zooming as part of the old forum.

Short of going in there and fixing the posts with issues, it might be smart for me to just cull the good posts from that thread into a new thread.
If you feel that is better that is fine. Then we can have a clean thread and maybe put it as a sticky on top of the forum Segmenting. It is one of those threads that Mike (Mikespenturningz) and I tried many years ago to see if we could get just photos of segmented pens and then keep adding to it so that others can just quickly take a look at past and present segmented pens. As you know I was the one who talked you into the segmenting forum because I saw a desire to expand that field. At that time there were not many of us doing it but it has grown some and hope it will continue. Thanks for doing this.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
@jttheclockman

John - have a look at that thread now and see if you like what you see. I was able to restore most of the photos, excepting of course the broken hosted images. I am in the process of removing those posts, as well as comment only posts such as "nice pen, good job". My intent is to restore that thread with all photos and return it to the original purpose.

jttheclockman

@jttheclockman

John - have a look at that thread now and see if you like what you see. I was able to restore most of the photos, excepting of course the broken hosted images. I am in the process of removing those posts, as well as comment only posts such as "nice pen, good job". My intent is to restore that thread with all photos and return it to the original purpose.
Now that is what I remember that thread looking like. That is going to be perfect. You fixed even page 8. Yes there are some posts in there where the photos never showed. Also first page there is a person who left in mean spirits but they deleted their photos too. This is going to be exactly what it was intended for. Thanks for doing this. I know it must be time consuming because there are many posts in that thread. Hopefully it will stay clean and used for photos only. I hope you are still keeping the photos even though they have the Photobucket logo across them, they are still visible pens. Have to say looking back at these brings back some good memories. Thanks again.

Top Bottom