Foodsafe beeswax olive oil finish recipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenobi

Hello there!

Im sure there is a similar thread already,but...Can you guys share your recipes for beeswax olive oil finish? How much od each, how do you make it, and your experience usin it?

I mostly use a beeswax & mineral oil commercial product of a local army shop, that is intended for leather,shoes especially.I have a workaround how to get it deep and buff at the same time when used on a pen. I would like to make my own,but a foodsafe variant, for bowls and other stuff. Also, food safe finish recipes with different ingredients would be great.

Thank you in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

Drewby108

I use a butcher block conditioner that you can get at most woodworking and home improvement stores. Howard's is the brand name. It's just beeswax and mineral oil. I think it was 9 dollars five or six years ago, and I still have half the bottle after 10 or so different projects.

PreacherJon

Olive Oil is not something you want to use. I for my food safe is, 16 ounces of mineral oil, 2 ounces of Beeswax and half an ounce of pure carnauba wax.

MedWoodWorx

As others mentioned olive oil and any other oil will go rancid. Only mineral oil is inert; its totally food safe. You can also mix other waxes like carnauba that are harder than beeswax. Cheers.

jrista

Hello there!

Im sure there is a similar thread already,but...Can you guys share your recipes for beeswax olive oil finish? How much od each, how do you make it, and your experience usin it?

I mostly use a beeswax & mineral oil commercial product of a local army shop, that is intended for leather,shoes especially.I have a workaround how to get it deep and buff at the same time when used on a pen. I would like to make my own,but a foodsafe variant, for bowls and other stuff. Also, food safe finish recipes with different ingredients would be great.

Thank you in advance!
What kind of olive oil are you intending to use? Off the shelf (i.e. at the grocery store) oils will go rancid, as they are not pure oil, but a mix of oils and proteins. Oils used for finishes are usually filtered to the point where they are 99% pure oil (or better), containing ONLY the oil and nothing that could go rancid.

You can find highly purified walnut oil, linseed oil, that can be used as finishes. If you want to use olive oil, I would make sure it is properly purified for use as a finish, and not food grade oil.

EDIT:

Oops. Guess that was already stated! I just read the first post and responded to it...

Top Bottom