Folded Ribbon blanks and pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

A couple of recent blanks and pens. One Aquilo and one Etesia. IMG_0077.JPGIMG_0097.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Looking forward to seeing them, Jon.
Curious what kind of wood you use as the source for all your small segments. Do you get a larger piece, like a standard board, and cut it down to size? Or are you finding very small pieces of wood?

Alan Morrison

Curious what kind of wood you use as the source for all your small segments. Do you get a larger piece, like a standard board, and cut it down to size? Or are you finding very small pieces of wood?
Jon, I glue lengths of timber into a sandwich and cut the different shapes when cured on the table saw, mostly 30 degree cuts on the mitre guage.
IMG_0058.JPGIMG_0064.JPG

egnald

Very Cool - I just finished up a thin ripping sled for my tablesaw this morning. I'm using an Incra jig I had in the shop that I bought just for this purpose - about a hundred years ago. Now I just need to get busy, but I'm starting out with a lot simpler segmenting than what you have done. Maybe someday I will get there. Your work is inspirational. - Dave

Alan Morrison

Are you cutting larger boards down to those very thin boards? Or do you have a source for...micro lumber somewhere?
They are thin slices cut from 3/4 to 1 inch lengths on the table saw.
I also get some thin pieces come from a luthier's scrap bin.
There is an introduction into segmenting in the library which I would like to update if you are interested.

Top Bottom