Flying Purple Poplar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

This is another blank found at the Woodworking show, can't remember who the supplier was. It was a dyed and stabilized poplar blank. I've tried to get that shimmer in the ordinary poplar I have laying around, though I get some shine the wood looks very dull. I think the stabilization and the dyejob changes the wood in more ways than just color and hardness.
Mounted on a 24k gold cigar kit.

Attachments

• purple-poplar.jpg
    purple-poplar.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 420
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Gary, nice job, but did you know that Poplar especially old growth stuff has mineral stained heart wood that gets almost that color, plus some other ones like green and nearly black.

Lenny

Gary, nice job, but did you know that Poplar especially old growth stuff has mineral stained heart wood that gets almost that color, plus some other ones like green and nearly black.

I'd love to see that. Seen any examples lately?

Just about every day. :)

I see so much of it that I probably take it too much for granted. If I can think of it I'll cut some a give it a spin. :)

bitshird

Gary there is a company called got wood, they are about the only ones I know that get any, down here most of the poplar trunks are maybe 18 to 24 inches diameter, when we first moved here we would see 36 to 48 inch trunks and unreal colors, with hearts 24 inches or so, but no more. Now and again you may get a bit of green or some light blue but not even much of that, and it's sad people here are selling off timber at an unbelievable rate. Even chopping down cedars that are barely fence post sizes, most just going to pulp mills.

bitshird

I see so much of it that I probably take it too much for granted. If I can think of it I'll cut some a give it a spin. :)

Lenny must be nice to be around some big timber, I have some at the shop that has just a trace of green and black. but Got Wood usually has some nice bowl stock. One Caveat the stuff smells like well worn gym socks.

Lenny

Lenny must be nice to be around some big timber, I have some at the shop that has just a trace of green and black. but Got Wood usually has some nice bowl stock. One Caveat the stuff smells like well worn gym socks.

Often what I see will be just a a section of the board that is purple or purple and black. I had cat away some strips with the intention of turning one into a pen ... will have to look through my stash to see if I still have it. :biggrin:
I know what you mean about the smell .... although what I have noticed sometimes reminds me of a cow barn. :eek:

PaulDoug

Gary there is a company called got wood, they are about the only ones I know that get any, down here most of the poplar trunks are maybe 18 to 24 inches diameter, when we first moved here we would see 36 to 48 inch trunks and unreal colors, with hearts 24 inches or so, but no more. Now and again you may get a bit of green or some light blue but not even much of that, and it's sad people here are selling off timber at an unbelievable rate. Even chopping down cedars that are barely fence post sizes, most just going to pulp mills.

Around our parts, popular is a crop. There are thousands of acres of it. It was originally grown to be used for pulp, but now about half or more is grown for the lumber.

That is a pretty pen, nice job.

Lenny

Here are some examples of how Poplar can vary from Green, lowest blank in photo (what we usually see) to shades of Purple and Black.
These have actually changed color some since they have been cut, much like Purpleheart will do when exposed to light.

Attachments

• shadesofpoplar.jpg
    shadesofpoplar.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • shadesofpoplar3.jpg
    shadesofpoplar3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 301

Gary Beasley

Cool! I have a poplar log that I've cut some bright yellow wood out of and used for Celtic knots. Haven't found any other colors yet besides the spalting.

Top Bottom