Flat Top American Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

This is a very old kit from Beartooth Woods. The brass piece on the top is too small for the tube and I'm not sure how make the pencil work. Have I put it together wrong or what am I missing?
pencil.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Beartooth woods sells mostly Berea kits so you can find insturctions on the Berea website. There are 3 tubes. One for the lower barrel and two for the cap. I agree with Rob...you may be missing one of the tubes.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Lucky2

I currently have no way to tell if a 7 mm tube, will fit inside an 8 mm tube. But that doesn't matter, it can be made to. It's repairable, depending upon how confident you are in your turning abilities. Turn or sand the inside of the 8 mm tube, to the size needed to fit the 7 mm tube inside of it. (I'm not sure if a 7 mm tube will fit inside of an 8 mm tube, and I presently have no way to check.) Then install the 7mm tube in place, and glue it there with CA glue. This is a bit tricky to do, that's why I was commenting about your confidence in your abilities. Good luck,and stay safe.

Len

montmill

According to Berea the OD of the tube is .31 of an inch. They must get them from someone, I wonder who? They don't sell replacement tubes for the smaller tube. Get going on this stuff and it sort of pull you in. Becomes a challenge.

its_virgil

The larger two tubes are .31 and the smaller is .29. I just measured a set from my last kit. A 7mm tube is .26. The only tube set that seems to be available is the two tube set that are .31--Berea hardwoods #BHW505. But you know that already. Instructions are available. The smaller tube (.29) drives the mechanism and slips inside the larger cap tube(.31). Unfortunately, a 7mm tube will not work but you may be able to sand and reduce the ID of a 7mm tube to slide over the mechanism . Not sure if it is large enough to work properly inside the cap tube (,31).

That was actually, and may still be, one of the better pencil kits 15 yrs ago.

Have you checked with other Berea resellers? Arizona silhouette, Exotic blanks? the kit is still available but the only tube set I could find just has the two larger tubes.

I would shoot Barry Gross a message and see if he can help. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Rob

This string caused me to rummage through some stuff in the shop. Before it closed I worked at Woodcraft in Baltimore. At one time Woodcraft/Berea sold replacement tubes in a five pack (in this case 15 tubes for 5 pencils). As I was looking I found a pencil kit less the pencil mechanism in my stash. Must have tried some sort of modification or repair to another kit. In any event, if you send me a private message with your name and mailing address, I'll send you the rest of the kit to include all three tubes, but most importantly, the one you're missing. I don't want anything for this...just pay it forward when you can.

Rob

montmill

Well I'm afraid I'm out of luck. The tubes Rob so graciously sent me were .31, the outer tube. Email to Berea asking if I could get the .29 tubes hasn't been answered. They have to get them from somewhere so I'm baffled why they don't support this product.

Rob

Well I'm afraid I'm out of luck. The tubes Rob so graciously sent me were .31, the outer tube. Email to Berea asking if I could get the .29 tubes hasn't been answered. They have to get them from somewhere so I'm baffled why they don't support this product.

Dave check your private messages...inner (smaller) tube is in packet...2 outer, one inner...very tight fit

Top Bottom