Flame Polishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:bananen_smilies035: Harley: Look on the home page in the upper left corner. There is a little box there labled Google site search that our new library manager has added. Type in flame polishing, and it will leed you to articles on this site and others on this subject. Jim S

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you are considering trying this, please make sure you know the difference between acrylic, celluloid and resin. Flame polishing acrylic MAY work. Any of the others are very likely to be destroyed.

FWIW,
ed

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I've done some and tried the heat gun with pretty good results. It's easy to over heat so remember that, like turning, it's easy to take off a little more, real hard to put it back on. Keep the heat moving and go slow until you get the hang of it.
WB

PTsideshow

Having done a lot of feet of edge flame polishing in the 100's As been stated by the other posters.
KNOW YOUR Material!!!!
Keep your heat source form the edge! It is a real pain to try to repair over heating or burn.
KEEP MOVING AT ALL COSTS!
Start with a semi smooth edge, I have only meet one guy that could flame polish a rough chainsaw cut on the acrylic.

Finally, as with most things in life PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE, cut some sheet goods in to strips about 1" wide or make some shelves out of it but you will have 4 edges to practice on.
:clown:

Which ones of the resins used for blank casting would be acrilic for flame polishing. I have seen a lot of these threades but never this part spoken of. Thank you for all your help.

Haynie

I've been playing with flame polishing my screwed up PR/alumilite blanks and there is promise. But, there is a miniscule line between polished and runny.

Top Bottom