FLame Box Elder with custom Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jonjon

jonjon

Tried my hand at a flame box elder JR Gent with a custom finial. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Like most of my pictures I feel it looks better in actuality.

I did learn one lesson turning the finial ---getting your knuckle too close to spinning pen jaws hurts.

Attachments

• Flame boxelder.jpg
    Flame boxelder.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 219
  • B E Finial.jpg
    B E Finial.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Wow, Jon !! . That wood is extremely nice !! . And you have turned/finished it beautifully !!

Did you knock out the original finial piece ? . If so, please tell us how you did that. . I am at the point where I would like to try making some custom finials like you have done here.

jonjon

Wow, Jon !! . That wood is extremely nice !! . And you have turned/finished it beautifully !!

Did you knock out the original finial piece ? . If so, please tell us how you did that. . I am at the point where I would like to try making some custom finials like you have done here.

I drilled a hole the approximate size of the outer rim in a piece of wood. This allows the finial to be punched out. I used a harbor freight punch on the back side of the finial. It just takes a couple of taps with a hammer and it pops right out. Without the finial in place the top gives a perfect sizer for turning the new wooden finial.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom