Fixing a disaster...and learning along the way

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

Some of you may remember a thread I started some months ago, detailing a problem I had with wet Olivewood blanks from Israel. (https://www.penturners.org/threads/what-would-you-do.159621/)

I received a number of suggestions of how to handle blanks that were dripping water as I drilled them. Well, today I finished all of the six pens from those blanks, and I couldn't be happier! I really wish I had the photography skills of my friend Peter from "Down Under" but I just don't. The accompanying picture was taken with my iPad and will have to do.

I realize some are not fans of Slimline pens, but they are my go-to pen kit. (These are from Craft Supply.) YAY!! Saved them all, and they look really good.

Thanks to all who commented.
IMG_0014.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nothing wrong with slims. Nothing wrong with your set. Excellent group Warren. I love the timber.

Those look great! How'd you finish them? I have some Bethlehem olivewood on my to-do list for a couple clients soon, so I'm trying to figure out what would work best

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Warren White

Those look great! How'd you finish them? I have some Bethlehem olivewood on my to-do list for a couple clients soon, so I'm trying to figure out what would work best

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
HI Gabriel!
Finish was my standby CA finish. Briefly, 3 coats of thin, 3 coats of medium, 3 coats of thin. Sand at 400, wet sand with Micro Mesh through the grits. That is the only finish I use with pens.

Woodchipper

The pens turned out fantastic! My complements! BOW is a favorite of mine. If I got a 10% commission on every Slimline kit sold, I could have retired years ago and hire someone to turn pens for me.

Top Bottom