Five Bowls From One Small Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Two days ago I sliced this burl (that I brought home the day before) into pieces and made a 6" and a 8" and a 9" and two 10" bowls from it .
I know some turners would hollow it out and make one 10" bowl and wind up with a big pile of shavings on the floor. I make bowls from boards so that is a big saving when it comes to nice wood like this .
The burl was over a foot long and about 6" tall and was 25 years old . After trimming off the waste I was ready to cut it into boards, It started out looking like this .

Here is the results of turning that piece of burl into bowls .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Beautiful bowls and a great way to maximize what you could get from it. Even with a coring setup you could've only gotten 2 or maybe 3 max. Well done sir!

W.Y.

Thanks to all for the replies. All comments welcome .
I have probably posted 25 to 30 other ones on my own site since porting these here as well as a bunch of scroll sawed products I have made and some end grain cutting boards I have made in the past few months . . I don't get many responses here compared to other sites but that is totally understandable because after all this is a major pen making site. But I do appreciate the reply's I get from anyone here and will try to take time to show more new ones as they develop .

Sorry about the bad picture of the burl that all those bowls came from. It was taken in bright sunlight on my porch whereas the pictures of the bowls we taken inside under controlled lighting .

Last edited:
Top Bottom