Fish Toys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

My Grand Children love a story book series that features colorful cartoon fish. In trying to come up with out of the box toys I decided to try to make some cartoon fish. I had a specific shape in mind that was asymmetrical. I decided to try a combination of "lost wood" and off center turning to achieve the shape. This meant that I had to place my lost wood off center and then use the center of the sacrificial wood as the axis so that my final glue up would line up. I made three attempts by varying the thicknesses of the three pieces of my glued up turning blank. The first attempt (the porpoise) basically became a lost wood turning since I did not have enough of a difference between the upper and lower boards in my blank. The second attempt (the pink/purple fish) was more asymmetrical but not quite there. The third piece (the blue fish) was a lot closer to what I had envisioned. I really need to work on my painting and do some further tinkering to get something that I am completely satisfied with. I left a raised ring on the second and third fish to create bulbous eyes and partially shaped the tails before carving those areas. I carved and glued on fins for the final shapes.

40F7163E-3E3C-47E2-9F44-FE8D80B4B259.jpeg
67EC6BD3-AF52-4ED9-A7CF-C7F816848864.jpeg
BDD7246B-8B7E-4553-B35F-608504A4D763.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom