First Vertex Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daveppeters

daveppeters

I turned my first couple of Vertex pens tonight. I really like this kit and will be getting some more. The one is Olive Wood from Bethlehem, the other is a blank I got in a lot from a local guy, and it ended up slightly imperfect; had a small catch which knocked a chip out of the red, and the hole ended up veering slightly off center. If anyone knows where I can get more of these blanks for the TX flag, I would appreciate you directing me to it.

20220606_223329.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I think he shortened it because of the chipout? It looks shorter for sure...

This is one of my favorite kits! Absolutely LOVE the Vertex kits. I've got the whole range, from the ballpoints to rollerballs to fountain pens.

qquake

This is one of my favorite kits! Absolutely LOVE the Vertex kits. I've got the whole range, from the ballpoints to rollerballs to fountain pens.
I like them too. I've made them all, including the bolt action Vertex.

daveppeters

I didn't change it, not sure why it looks shorter

jrista

I didn't change it, not sure why it looks shorter
Given the angle of the photo, it doesn't look like an illusion. The bottom of the two pens are effectively perfectly aligned, but there is clearly a discrepancy in the length of each pen based on the top of them. Was the Texas flag blank short in some way? Or, is it possible the wood blank was not trimmed down to the size of the brass tube?

greenacres2

Dave--nice pens and good turning!! Vertex click is one of my favorites. I'd like to offer an assembly suggestion that you may find helpful--or maybe it's because i'm a bit of a symmetry freak. In my mind, that pen hardware looks better when the facets of the nib line up with the top section. I don't think it's mentioned in the instructions, but it's one of those details that the finished product benefits from.
So, my assembly sequence is to set the top section so the clip aligns where i want it on the blank and press into place. Then, fully screw the nib onto the tip connector--being certain that it's fully tightened. Sight down the turned blank and line up the upper and nib facets, finger press the tip connector into the tube, and then press it home. (that process is really only a few seconds--the key is just remembering to line up the facets)

At first i thought about making a jig to line up, but just eyeballing has worked for the last 50 or so i've done. Hope this helps.
earl

daveppeters

Given the angle of the photo, it doesn't look like an illusion. The bottom of the two pens are effectively perfectly aligned, but there is clearly a discrepancy in the length of each pen based on the top of them. Was the Texas flag blank short in some way? Or, is it possible the wood blank was not trimmed down to the size of the brass tube?
I don't know - I didn't even realize it until you all pointed it out :p

daveppeters

Dave--nice pens and good turning!! Vertex click is one of my favorites. I'd like to offer an assembly suggestion that you may find helpful--or maybe it's because i'm a bit of a symmetry freak. In my mind, that pen hardware looks better when the facets of the nib line up with the top section. I don't think it's mentioned in the instructions, but it's one of those details that the finished product benefits from.
So, my assembly sequence is to set the top section so the clip aligns where i want it on the blank and press into place. Then, fully screw the nib onto the tip connector--being certain that it's fully tightened. Sight down the turned blank and line up the upper and nib facets, finger press the tip connector into the tube, and then press it home. (that process is really only a few seconds--the key is just remembering to line up the facets)

At first i thought about making a jig to line up, but just eyeballing has worked for the last 50 or so i've done. Hope this helps.
earl
I didn't think of that, but it's a great tip, thank you! Now I just need to make a mental not about it. :)

greenacres2

Thanks for taking that in the spirit of help and not criticism! It's kind of like looking at identical light switch covers, one with the screw slots clocked parallel and the other random—one looks better, but we don't perceive why. Little details make a difference without us being aware of it.
Stay well,
earl

daveppeters

Thanks for taking that in the spirit of help and not criticism! It's kind of like looking at identical light switch covers, one with the screw slots clocked parallel and the other random—one looks better, but we don't perceive why. Little details make a difference without us being aware of it.
Stay well,
earl
Took your advice on this latest vertex pen and it looks great! 👍
20220613_121612.jpg

20220613_121547.jpg

20220613_121642.jpg

Top Bottom