First two pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from grebmar

grebmar

Hello All,

I acquired a lathe over the holidays and have been busy turning, mostly practicing on scrap wood. It's all new to me, but here are my first two pens. The top is birch, I don't know what the bottom wood is. The finish is a simple wax finish, since I haven't been brave enough to try CA yet.

I hope to make many more. I've learned a lot just reading since I joined, and I hope learn more.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 195
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PBorowick

Nicely done, those look great! That bottom one looks like walnut to me.

Don't be afraid to dive into the CA finish pool...it can seem daunting at first but take your time and experiment a little.
Biggest thing I have found that helps me is patience!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent entry Peter. I also think the second pen blanks are walnut.

Your profiles are good. Keep in mind to measure the final OD to the kit components (calipers). Don't rely on the bushings, all thought in most cases they are perfectly fine.

And I agree with Paul - Wax finishes are a good way to start in this "obsession," but you will want to explore other finishing options. I'll suggest "Glu Boost." Lots of online links ava.

Welcome!

KLJ

Nice start I agree with what has been said already, looks like walnut and go ahead with the more durable finishes they are worth the effort and its not as bad as it sounds.

Sly Dog

Very nice! I like that Birch. Also think the other is walnut.

I limit my CA finishing due to an allergy I have to be mindful of; hopefully you won't. I like using a sanding sealer and friction polish on wood blanks for a natural feel; though it's not as durable or glossy, I can still get a decent shine. Have fun!

grebmar

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. I have tried a CA finish on some scrap wood and it turned out very nice, so I'll give it a go on the next pen. I also want to try Pens Plus and Glu Boost (thanks for the tip).

If you liked the birch (I don't see it very often in pens), I have a lot of it, far more than I can use, so I'll be putting some blanks of it up for sale here soon.

Top Bottom