First try at bowl turning :(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Parson

Parson

I didn't expect to turn a perfect bowl my first time, but I did hope to actually complete it without it flying off the lathe in different directions in four pieces.

It was a piece of walnut that was 5x5x2 I bought at Rockler for $5.00.

Turning bowls is a heck of a lot harder than turning pens, that's for sure!

I watched the JET bowl turning tutorials on youtube before I did it, but he was using fresh cut wood (looked light like pine) and apparently that's a lot easier to cut than dry walnut.

If any of you bowl turners have some advice for me as far as first-timer woods go (types and moisture content) I sure would appreciate it.

I am not discouraged. I am, however, determined to turn a bowl now!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

wet wood is much easier to turn, also were you using a scroll chuck, a faceplate or a screw, there are a lot of variables, like tool sharpness, whether you were holding on the outside of a tenon or expanding into an inside pocket, and also what kind of chuck?

brewtang

Walnut can be a little rough. Sharp tools are very important. Ambrosia Maple turns easily and gives a nice finished project. Stick with it...you'll get there.

Parson

wet wood is much easier to turn, also were you using a scroll chuck, a faceplate or a screw, there are a lot of variables, like tool sharpness, whether you were holding on the outside of a tenon or expanding into an inside pocket, and also what kind of chuck?

I was expanding into an inside pocket with a budget chuck I bought at woodcrafters ($89.00). The tools were sharp (brand new and never used before) but I kept catching the tool in the wood on the inside of the bowl and tore it up repeatedly.

I'm going to try and find some ambrosia maple and give that a try.

Wheaties

The tools were sharp (brand new and never used before) but I kept catching the tool in the wood on the inside of the bowl and tore it up repeatedly.

New tools don't mean sharp tools. My guess is that may have been your problem.

arkie

Stop expanding into a recess. Learn to turn a spigot (round tenon) and compress on it. Grind back the wings on your gouge. Learn to ride the bevel and rotate the tool slightly to get a light cut. Get some free green wood of any kind, turn it round, hollow it out. Free is best, and learn to control the tool and lathe in this orientation.

Get a few lessons if you can. Hang in there - you'll get it!

Texatdurango

Gee, the frustration sounds familiar! :biggrin:

I think the best advice I could give would be call or visit your local Rocklers or Woodcraft and ask where the local wood turning club(s) meet! Then visit one of the meetings, stand up and introduce yourself as a new turner looking for some new friends and some help!

Before you know it, you will be visiting the shops of new friends and learning the correct ways to turn items. Beats the heck out of teaching yourself.

I lucked out and hooked up with one of the premium turners in North Texas who was just as interested in learning ca finishes and perfecting his pens as I was in bowl and vessel turning.

That's what I would do. :)

Scoots

Couple of thoughts:

1. As mentioned, try compressing the chuck onto a tenon. It will give you a stronger hold.

2. Try a club, a class or a good DVD. Bill Grumbine and Jimmy Clewes have some of the best videos.

3. Watch your angle of the tool. On he inside, you can get a catch if you take too big of a bite with the wing of the gouge (if you use a fingernail grind) or the wing (if you use a traditional grind). Keep the bevel barely touching and cut near the middle of the gouge. Move the tolrest in close for more support (too much overhang can cause lots of problems).

4. Walnut can be a bear dry. Try a wet blank for practice, even if you end up throwing it away. You can also twice turn a wet blank to keep it. Also try mor friendly woods like maple.

I would look up a local turning groupp and see if they have a mntoring program, if not find out who are the best turners and beg if y ou have to, to let them show you howm first. Seeing is the best way. Maybe you have a local Woodcraft or Rockler store that can suggest a regular turning customer to show youhow or sign up for one of their classes.
I had a mentor and learned in 3 sessions what woudl take me years to learn on my own.

I didn't expect to turn a perfect bowl my first time, but I did hope to actually complete it without it flying off the lathe in different directions in four pieces.

It was a piece of walnut that was 5x5x2 I bought at Rockler for $5.00.

Turning bowls is a heck of a lot harder than turning pens, that's for sure!

I watched the JET bowl turning tutorials on youtube before I did it, but he was using fresh cut wood (looked light like pine) and apparently that's a lot easier to cut than dry walnut.

If any of you bowl turners have some advice for me as far as first-timer woods go (types and moisture content) I sure would appreciate it.

I am not discouraged. I am, however, determined to turn a bowl now!

jeffnreno

I 2nd the join a club - the club I'm in has regular classes from guys you really know what they are doing and are more than happy to pass along the knowlege to new turners.

Top Bottom