See more from Deacon904

Deacon904

Got to start sometime
Pen made for a gift.
20191122_192431.jpg
IMG_20191122_193050_362.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deacon904

Hey Deacon, That is very good for your first acrylic. The finish looks great. Did you use micromesh? Nice looking blank also.

Seven
Yes used wer micromesh after sanding 320, 600 ... I dont have a buffing wheel yet so i tried hard to get rid of some small scratches by using some "scratch-x"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bsshog40

Nice job! I don't have a buffing system either, but micromesh will do the trick. I take mine all the way to 12,000.

Woodchipper

Wow! Love the colors. I use wet MM and go through all the grits. I have the color code posted over my lathe so I can keep track of the sequence.

its_virgil

I'm not trying to argue or cause a problem. Most any and all resin blanks are incorrectly referred to as acrylic. Acrylic is a specific type of plastic, or resin, which is not available for casting in our home or garage workshops. Special and specific equipment is needed to work with Acrylic. Some commercially available resin blanks are truly acrylic.

Alumilite is a brand and not a product. The Alumilite company makes several types of resins. The lava lamp blanks are made from an Alumilite resin and I can only assume the resin is one of their two popular urethane resins: Alumilite clear or Clear Slow. Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast is an epoxy resin but not as popular for pen blanks as their two urethane resins. Both of the urethane resins from Alumilite are very popular for making pen blanks...but they are not acrylic.

I hope this comment is taken in the manner in which it is offered: to educate and not to step on anyone's toes.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Jim Nugent

Great work, Deacon! I have one of those blanks from Ed at ExoticBlanks. I bought the purple and gold because those are LSU's colors. After seeing yours, I'm inspired to get going on mine. Thanks!

Yes used wer micromesh after sanding 320, 600 ... I dont have a buffing wheel yet so i tried hard to get rid of some small scratches by using some "scratch-x"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You did great, the finish is excellent. I personally don't think you need a buffing system if you follow the micromesh with a good plastic polish. I still hit it up on the PSI 4" wheels with blue rouge but honestly, I've never really noticed a difference afterwards. I'm just anal that way. A buffing system like the 3 wheel Beall setup will allow you to skip most of the MM pads, I but go with what works. ie I don't use the Beall for pens.

Top Bottom