First time!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenCasso

Ok I endeavored to make a modified slime line and I really like the way the blank turned out the problem is when i insert the bottom part of the pen, it does not turn and its hard to twist and pull out. I have to use a pen punch on the opposite end to pull the bottom part out.

What did I do wrong? I followed RJB Wood turners instructions and compared them with Sleeve Leather and it's the same thing.

I'm not sure what to do, I can assemble it and just leave it ready to write lol.

Attachments

• 20231218_235742.jpg
    20231218_235742.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20231218_235735.jpg
    20231218_235735.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 114
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

The blank looks great!
I see how frustrating it must be to not have it "work" the way it should.
Does the Twist Mechanism turn freely when you have it disassembled, or is it stuck there too? I once had a *bad* Twist Mechanism that didn't turn.
1.jpg

PenCasso

The blank looks great!
I see how frustrating it must be to not have it "work" the way it should.
Does the Twist Mechanism turn freely when you have it disassembled, or is it stuck there too? I once had a *bad* Twist Mechanism that didn't turn.
View attachment 365058
When the bottom is not inserted the mechanism turns fine, as I inserted It, I am testing it and it turns. As soon as I insert the whole thing, that's when it does not turn at all and it's also hard to pull the bottom out.

Thanks!

its_virgil

There should be an article in the library entitled "one piece slimline improvements." There is a solution to this issue with one piece slimline pens. If the article is not there let me know and I will send it to you.

BTW, there are several ways to modify a slimline and the one piece is just one of several.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenCasso

There should be an article in the library entitled "one piece slimline improvements." There is a solution to this issue with one piece slimline pens. If the article is not there let me know and I will send it to you.

BTW, there are several ways to modify a slimline and the one piece is just one of several.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
I ordered your book and got it a few days ago...

I've been turning since January and your book is a wealth of info...

Thanks!

its_virgil

I ordered your book and got it a few days ago...

I've been turning since January and your book is a wealth of info...

Thanks!
Thank you. The one piece slimline article is not in the book. I could not find it in the library so I attached a copy to this post. Let me know if it does not work.
Don

Attachments

• one piece slimline improvements.pdf
    285.1 KB · Views: 92

PenCasso

This is as far that it will go in before it stops turning. I've noticed that pushing it all the way in, it get very tight. It doesn't just slip in, you do have to out a little pressure and you can't just pull it put.

I have inserted the drill bit and have twisted it inside to clean out any debri, not hitting or touch the glued barrel.

What a disappointment lol. 😞

Attachments

• 20231219_112718.jpg
    20231219_112718.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 45

PenCasso

Well I had to improvise! you will see I had to add a small piece above the nib, That's was the sweet spot in order for it to engage and disengage. That's quite a bit of barrel that would have been exposed if I hadn't improvised. Well back to the drawing board and I'll make another one.

Thank you for y'alls help!

Attachments

• 20231219_154216.jpg
    20231219_154216.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231219_154206.jpg
    20231219_154206.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 50

its_virgil

I'm trying to wrap my head around your issue. I've made 70 or so one piece slimlines and have never had the issue you are experiencing.

How long is your completed blank before adding the extension?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenCasso

Well I made another modified slimline and this one works perfect.

Happy with the way it turned out.

Cedar, Blk Walnut and a cut-off from a pink acrylic.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231220_161657.jpg
    20231220_161657.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 39

sorcerertd

It sounds to me that something in the barrel is grabbing the tube when inserted to that specific depth, maybe even just some glue. You may have already checked this, but I would use a small rod or a bamboo skewer to poke around inside the blanks to see if there is a catch somewhere up there. Maybe it's a simple as filing a nub of something out of the barrel?

its_virgil

Having made several one piece slimlines I thought of a couple of issues. One is what Todd mentioned. Another was the total blank length was too short but this seems to not be the problem. Another is the upper tube is longer than it should be or it is glued in place incorrectly. When the upper tube touches the lower the drank cannot go on any further. Fortunately Lee seems to have solved this.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenCasso

It sounds to me that something in the barrel is grabbing the tube when inserted to that specific depth, maybe even just some glue. You may have already checked this, but I would use a small rod or a bamboo skewer to poke around inside the blanks to see if there is a catch somewhere up there. Maybe it's a simple as filing a nub of something out of the barrel?
I did all of that, and it didn't seem that anything was obstructing the tube.

Jans husband

Just a thought Lee. It may be the run of the weave in the background cloth in the photo but I see a slight deviation from 180 degrees between the upper and lower parts of the pen and the slight deviation would cause the internal workings to be snagging.
Is it possible that one of the blanks is not fully square?
Just a thought because it has happened to me!!
Mike

PenCasso

Just a thought Lee. It may be the run of the weave in the background cloth in the photo but I see a slight deviation from 180 degrees between the upper and lower parts of the pen and the slight deviation would cause the internal workings to be snagging.
Is it possible that one of the blanks is not fully square?
Just a thought because it has happened to me!!
Mike
The bottom part was added to make it work if that's the part your referring to. I'm thinking something went nuts inside the pen where both tubes meet..

Top Bottom