First time using my new chuck and my new photo tent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chartle

chartle

This is my first attempt at anything like this. Years ago I made little bats, candle sticks, bracelets and of course now pens but nothing that I had to hollow anything out.

I should have picked a better piece of wood out of my fathers old wood pile.

This is also my first try using a photo tent I just got yesterday. I think I like the red better than the white.

Besides that I used my old LG G2 on a tripod for the camera but realize that my really old 2000ish 2m pixel Sony may work better because it has way more manual control. I would love to have a DSLR but just can't justify one right now.

The first shot shows my elaborate photo studio. :)

Attachments

• 0128162101b.jpg
    0128162101b.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 0128162047.jpg
    0128162047.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 223
  • 0128162049c.jpg
    0128162049c.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 0128162055.jpg
    0128162055.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 0128162059.jpg
    0128162059.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Looks almost like the exact same tent I purchased ages ago from Amazon....I find the 'felt' stuff very difficult to keep dust free...but a few moments in the dryer with a lint sheet helps(tip).

Outstanding tiny vessels! I'm sort of having lathe withdrawals lately, and everyones' stuff is keeping me happy...thanks for sharing!

Scott (ugh....black felt and dust) B

I like your little box... I've never been very successful in doing lidded pieces.. need more practice I suppose..

you light box looks similar to the one I had... mine had square sides, but in the end I didn't like it and gave it to my son to use...

chartle

Looks almost like the exact same tent I purchased ages ago from Amazon....I find the 'felt' stuff very difficult to keep dust free...but a few moments in the dryer with a lint sheet helps(tip).

Outstanding tiny vessels! I'm sort of having lathe withdrawals lately, and everyones' stuff is keeping me happy...thanks for sharing!

I took the "felt" out of the package and of course it was nicely folded up and of course had perfect fold lines. I too put them in the drier to get the wrinkles out and they came out nicely crinkled.

How do you store the material? I'm thinking of stuffing them back in a bag crinkled is better than folded.

I like your little box... I've never been very successful in doing lidded pieces.. need more practice I suppose..

you light box looks similar to the one I had... mine had square sides, but in the end I didn't like it and gave it to my son to use...

What didn't you like about it?

chartle

Oh and here is what I learned.

• My mini lathe is just barely adequate. Maybe if I burn it out I'll get a bigger one. :good:
  • I now realize I should have removed my tail stock, it would have made it so much easier getting into the bottom of my box. Its a pretty light so easy to remove. Also since my lathe is so light I can even rotate it 90 degrees on my bench.
  • Also need better light. Going to get some small flexible LED snake lights.
  • The right tools make all the difference. I have some old Craftsman tools a inherited from my father and there is nothing like a bowl gouge. I also now know why a bowl gouge is built the way it is. Its designed to be thicker so it can extend beyond the tool rest and not flop around. I did find a hefty 1/2" square round nose scraper that worked the best.
  • Should have used my drill press with the biggest bits I have to hog out the inside. Tried my lathe and it just doesn't have the power to drill big holes.
  • Need to watch more YouTube videos to get more techniques on how to hold blanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom