First time using desert ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RDHals

RDHals

Came across some Desert Ironwood the other day and decided to give it a try as I've never turned any before. Well I'm a big fan now, this stuff turns really well and finishes beautifully. I guess some of it is lighter colored than this one. Bolt Action Tec in brass, Glue boost finish. Critiques and comments welcome.
Russ

Attachments

• BT8.jpg
    BT8.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 95
  • BT8C.jpg
    BT8C.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 101
  • BT8D.jpg
    BT8D.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 99
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenCasso

Did it have a weird smell for you? I ended up with some from the Sonoran Dessert and smelled pretty bad lol.

BoonareeBurl

Came across some Desert Ironwood the other day and decided to give it a try as I've never turned any before. Well I'm a big fan now, this stuff turns really well and finishes beautifully. I guess some of it is lighter colored than this one. Bolt Action Tec in brass, Glue boost finish. Critiques and comments welcome.
Russ
Yup, I love desert ironwood (DIW), too. Really nice work and you got some beautiful regular-grain DIW there!

Btw, are you into burls? DIW burl is among my all-time favorites. If you're into burls, I think you'll find DIW exceptional and pretty unique. I didn't turn these, but they are part of my collection:

1691509481333.png

G

ruste84

Beautiful pen! I've not turned Desert Ironwood yet, but I'll be on the lookout for some now! It paired really well with the kit too!

Darios

Did it have a weird smell for you? I ended up with some from the Sonoran Dessert and smelled pretty bad lol.
Coincidentally, I am working with some ironwood now, and there was a smell - but not one that I would call as 'bad'. Not deer antler bad certainly.

egnald

I smell bad regardless of what wood I am turning. :)

I certainly am on board with Sonoran Desert Ironwood too. It makes gorgeous pens and it has a great story to go along with it because of there is just one small region of the world that it comes from.

You made a very attractive pen.

Regards,
Dave

Top Bottom