first time turning DIW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

So, I finally turned some DIW. This is a blank that I bought from @Ironwood Bill. I like it. It turns nicely, though it's definitely hard and dense. I did have a very slight chip-out. It was more like a little scratch that I filled with CA. The clip covered it pretty easily. Other than the finial, I kept it pretty simple. This blank didn't need any help looking good. This is a Diamond Knurl rollerball kit in antique brass. I sanded to 600, used the 3 lower grit zona papers (dry) to shine it up, then finished with pen's plus. For anyone interested, there is a pic showing the final part (pun not intended) of how I make the finials. I leave about that much "stem" on it, then cut it with a utility knife.

edit: for some reason, on the last couple I've posted, the site just picked a random pic for the thread preview instead of the first one.

20230919_103420.jpg

20230919_103330.jpg 20230919_103339.jpg 20230919_103439.jpg 20230918_122000.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

What is DIW?? ( Desert Iron Wood?)
Yes. I probably should have spelled that out at least once in the post. Apparently it's a member of the legume family. That's one beautiful beanstalk!

My favorite wood, I like to make the body from DIW and the cap from antler, a real man's pen!
I've not worked with antler yet, but never really thought to use it as an accent. That's intriguing.

Todd in PA

Great pen!
I'm quickly becoming a wood snob. DIW and cocobolo are some of my favorites. I guess I'll add Lignum Vitae, even though I've only turned one pen. šŸ˜œ Super hard. Cuts so easily. Polishes right up.

Todd in PA

I do my finials the same way. Bonus tip: you can also use that stem to polish the buttonā€¦

Stephanie

So, I finally turned some DIW. This is a blank that I bought from @Ironwood Bill. I like it. It turns nicely, though it's definitely hard and dense. I did have a very slight chip-out. It was more like a little scratch that I filled with CA. The clip covered it pretty easily. Other than the finial, I kept it pretty simple. This blank didn't need any help looking good. This is a Diamond Knurl rollerball kit in antique brass. I sanded to 600, used the 3 lower grit zona papers (dry) to shine it up, then finished with pen's plus. For anyone interested, there is a pic showing the final part (pun not intended) of how I make the finials. I leave about that much "stem" on it, then cut it with a utility knife.

edit: for some reason, on the last couple I've posted, the site just picked a random pic for the thread preview instead of the first one.

View attachment 360630
View attachment 360628 View attachment 360629 View attachment 360631 View attachment 360627
Beautiful!

Top Bottom