First time turning Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paulbt1975

paulbt1975

I found a blank from WoodTurningz using some Alumilite, so I thought I would try it, it did seem easi to work wit, I think I dug into it a little too much, to me the pen looks a little bent. I assume I took too much off and it made an optical illusion. On a side note I read where a lot of you have commented on using epoxy instead of CA glue, I glued up some blanks this past weekend and will see how the epoxy holds up.
IMG_2513.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Cool blank. It does look a little thin, but the color still comes through well. I'm guessing you painted the inside to keep that look. What color paint did you use? Also, what kit is that?

jrista

Paul, it does look like you over-turned a bit. It is useful to turn a blank just proud of the bushings. Not by much, just a smidge. You would then sand, which will take off more material (particuarly at the lower grits). You would want to sand down to just the point where the blank ends are as large in diameter as the bushings (try not to sand the bushings though, as that will reduce the bushing diameters over the long term.)

When you try to turn down to the bushings exactly using just the tool, its easy to go too far, and there isn't much that can recover from that (CA could be built up, but CA looks and finishes differently from alumilite itself, or most other resins except maybe acrylic).

The blank does not look bent to me, but it does appear to have some peaks and valleys. That is just a matter of practice with your tool, and eventual skill, so keep at it! I am curious, what kind of tool did you use? Some tools work much better with resins than others. Gouges are probably not the best. Easy Wood Tools with negative rake tips are good. A skew might be good, but is usually a much greater challenge, so I'd only use a skew if you have enough skill from turning wood with a skew. A gouge, in my experience, will very easily shred resin blanks and cause a lot of chipout.

Woodchipper

I like the color. Keep the pen and use for a sample to remind one to practice. One acquires more expertise as we progress. I find it best to take light cuts with the tool, check for even dimensions. Calipers are good for checking high spots. Some use a wrench and slide it along the blank.

jrista

I would also offer that, if you use too low of a grit for sanding, it can take off a lot of material very quickly. Personally, I never start lower than 400 grit, sometimes 600. Unless your tooling is extremely rough, you should rarely need lower than 400 grit sandpaper for sanding a pen blank. If you are say starting at 180 (or worse even lower!!), or 220 or thereabouts, that is most likely too low, and that grit will take off a ton of material and potentially leave behind scratches that are hard to remove.

Starting with a higher grit should take off less material, which can also be a reason why the blank ends up too small in diameter.

derekdd

Good work, Paul. That's a pretty blank and kit.

I had to turn a dozen or more before I felt comfortable about where to stop taking off material.

I also almost always taper my pens at least slightly as it give the pen a custom look, and many people like having a bit more material in their hand.

paulbt1975

Thank you everyone for the tips, I appreciate it. I am really learning a lot. I know practice, practice, practice. I was hesitant showing this pen, but I will use the advice to get better.

Todd in PA

Typically I use round carbide to get close to my final dimension, then switch to square to dial it in. I hold the square at a 45 degree angle to the spinning barrel and make light passes until it is almost straight, but has a gentle curve.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I find the round tip tool is difficult to control for final turning. Concentrate on turning (putting pressure) PARALLEL to the mandrel, not
perpendicular to the spinning blank.

PERSONALLY, I prefer a square-ish tool to finish--either the square tip or the 2" radiused tip. Again, you need to push parallel to the mandrel,
but I find these tips are easier to control.

YMMV!!!

ED

Another way of saying what Todd said above!!

Top Bottom