First time turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Many thanks for approving my registration. I have not yet turned a pen or anything else as far as that goes. I have purchased a small lathe and have ordered lots of supplies and blanks. Should be here by the week end. I am anxious to get started so I thought of using my wife's broom but she is taking flying lesions so that is out. Think I will get some birch dowels and make some chips in the meantime. I have done lots of metal turning as a hobby machinist. I don't think it is anywhere similar. I hope to learn much and hope I can contribute to this forum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Welcome Les, from Sydney Australia.
Regarding Metal lathe, a considerable number of our turners, make metal pens on a lathe.
I envy their flexibility, if I want something turned other than brass or aluminium, I have to seek someone willing and who I can afford with a metal lathe.
Brian.

Edward Cypher

Welcome Rocky I am in Aurora. You might look into Frontrange Woodturners(FRWT)they meet at Rocklers on the first tuesday of the month. Lots of info here in the library and the FRWT has an awesome library where you can checkout just about any woodturning book ever made as well as DVDs. I am one of the librarians for FRWT. Also they have a wood rafle every month and some of the stuff is awesome for a dollar chance.

robutacion

G'day mate,

Welcome from South Australia, the land of the Kangaroos...!

You are certainly in the right place to learn and be inspired by so many of exceptional artists in this place.

Seat back and enjoy the experience...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ha Ha - Tell your wife a shorter broom is actually safer!

Welcome from Ohio.

As a matter of fact, I DID buy 10 broomsticks from the local Habitat for Humanity resale store and used them to practice with a skew. Every few months I go back to practice. Alas, after 2 1/2 years I STILL can't use a skew.

But, I do love my roughing gouge!

OZturner

Les, When I saw your Avatar, I thought you looked familiar, but moved on.
Then it dawned on me.
Are you sure you are not Billy Connelly, the Scottish Comedian?
If not you could be his double, that is of course, provided you can use as many 4 letter words as he can without taking a breath.
The likeness is striking, though Billy probably has celebrated more Birthdays.
Brian.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome aboard Les,:biggrin:

I was thinking the exact same thing as Ozturner!!:biggrin:

Then it dawned on me.
If not you could be his double, that is of course, provided you can use as many 4 letter words as he can without taking a breath.
Brian.

Rockytime

Then it dawned on me.
Brian.
Hi OZturner,
Nope, it's just me. Iv'e changed my facial hair and now some people refer to me as Buffalo Bill. I'm not him either. Got my first order of blanks today. Whoo Wee! I start turning my first blanks tomorrow,
Kindest Regards,
Les

Top Bottom