First steps with urushi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

Several years that I am fascinated by pens covered with Japanese lacquer like Namiki, Platinum... or Manu Propria. :)

Several months that I learn to use it. 47g of urushi of different kinds, 156 sanding paper leaves, half an hour of cursing (altogether), 29 brushes and 1153 liters of beer were necessary for practicing, up to now. Learning to have a correct shine (that means more than bright...) is not the easiest, CA is a piece of cake compared to it.

So now, I am pleased to present my first decent urushi pen, made of ebonite with around 20 layers, including one consisting of a gold leaf and another which was a mixture of lacquer and egg white. šŸ˜®

Some have long or recent experience with urushi here, C&C are very welcome.

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
EXCELLENT! I watched a few master craftsmen/artists in Japan use their skill in such a way to make it look easy, but it isn't. Every stroke, just the right pressure, masterfully done. Years of practice, experience and training.

Well done!

FGarbrecht

Beautiful, very impressive. Given the amount of beer necessary to do Urushi, I might have to give it a try.

Ironwood

Very well done Pierre. The Urushi and gold leaf have really transformed the look of the pen into something very special and unique.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pierre, you may view this as a stepping stone to finally attain a higher level of pen turning. I view it as a Masterpiece!

From the several forums I peek at, I can name only a handful of penturners that venture to perfect this technique. You are in a very select few - Congratulations. This work is wonderful, and I hope your experience thus far will encourage you to continue.

This is one to be very, very proud of.

Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom